Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My XT8120 brakes need new pads and the N04C pads are on a forever backorder.

What are good, non-Shimano options for the 8120 brakes?

I don't want to go with the Shimano N03A's that are resin as I know all too well that they don't last long enough.

Thanks!

Admin edit: Photo added for the newsletter.
Rectangle Font Fashion accessory Metal Wood

·
Registered
496 Posts
Any idea what those two compounds offer over metallic/sintered?
Better initial bite and noise, metallic does better with extreme heat but it's also rougher on rotors. If I lived in the Alps and was consistently hard on the brakes I might lean towards sintered but I'm running the ceramic compound even on my park bike with no issues at all but I prefer brakes with good instant bite if that makes sense

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MTX is another good brand alterative.

Agreed with Amazon, need to check off who is the actual seller is before purchasing. If it's sold direct though Amazon, your most likely ok. 3rd party seller, need to becareful.
The final straw for me was when Amazon themselves were the seller, and I still got counterfeit stuff.

My Amazon purchases are down probably 90+ percent from what they used to be.

·
Registered
496 Posts
MTX is another good brand alterative.

Agreed with Amazon, need to check off who is the actual seller is before purchasing. If it's sold direct though Amazon, your most likely ok. 3rd party seller, need to becareful.
I tried MTX and while good pads I don't think they are better than Disco and at almost 3 times the price they would need to be a substantial upgrade to justify the price, they are almost $35 each vs $45 for a 4 pack of pads

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I tried MTX and while good pads I don't think they are better than Disco and at almost 3 times the price they would need to be a substantial upgrade to justify the price, they are almost $35 each vs $45 for a 4 pack of pads
It's been a while, but disco sintered worked really well for my needs... would love to give them another go if they weren't perpetually out of stock for Shimano 4pot in US.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's been a while, but disco sintered worked really well for my needs... would love to give them another go if they weren't perpetually out of stock for Shimano 4pot in US.
They show in stock right now

·
EDR
10,683 Posts
Ya, run the non-finned. Unless you're bombing d/h for extended periods the fins are just stoopid. even then, probably stoopid (although I can see the potential benefit when really burning those brakes)

Anyhow I just replaced my slx 4 piston pads with Galfer standard. They are a 'semi' metallic. Just one ride so far so can't really say much about them other than they bed in quickly and seem every bit as good as the ones they replaced. The front squealed once or twice on slow steep section...hope that's just new pad mating with older rotor and it goes away.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,050 Posts
Exactly my experience. My MTX red pads worked great — but neither better nor worse than my el cheapo Truckerco OSM (organic semi-metallic) pads which cost about 1/5th or 1/6th of what the MTX pads sell for.
In my mind, MTX is an excellent option for anyone willing to overpay for brake pads. I’m saying MTX pads are good pads.
=sParty

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Ya, run the non-finned. Unless your bombing d/h for extended periods the fins are just stoopid. even then, probably stoopid.

Anyhow I just replaced my slx 4 piston pads with Galfer standard. They are a 'semi' metallic. Just one ride so far so can't really say much about them other than they bed in quickly and seem every bit as good as the ones they replaced. The front squealed once or twice on slow steep section...hope that's just new pad mating with older rotor and it goes away.
The price of finned Shimano is pretty crazy. I have yet to find a pad that has the power/fade resistance of them though... including Galfer. In fact, purple pads (fade resistant version) lasted half as long as H03C so that exorbitant price actually flushes out in the end, comparatively.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts