Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...hello all my engineering/hacker friends :). The bolt that is "stuck" in the derailleur cage and screws into derailleur body, how is it fastened in the cage? Pressed? Is it possible to remove in order to change to another bolt?
Ye, it would be easier to buy a new cage. But not for my purpose :). Aight, if u so curious...I wanna put a 11 speed derailleur cage on a shimano zee. Why? To see if my idea is possible. Just as an experiment. Here's the explanation: looking at road (and mtb) 11 speed derailleur, the jockey wheel is offset from the cage bolt, unlike 10s mechs where it's centered in the bold. The offset is the same innovation as the radr cage. Now...on small wheel bikes the radr cage goes all the way down to the rim, and so will all gs cages from 11s mtb derailleurs. 11 speed road derailleurs come in ss. My thought is that an offset ss cage on shimano zee will clear 40/42t, thus not needing a radr or wolftooth cage. Unless u've tried it and it doesn't work, don't hate ;-).
Thanx for input on my question about removing bolt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The bolt is pressed into the cage. The axle on which the cage is rotating is screwed over the bolt from the outer side. You have to remove the stabilizer cover and you will see a 4mm hex seat:
Text White Line Font Circle

The thing is, all road mechs use a completely different mounting method and you can't mix them with the Zee. The GRX Gravel series has the same mounting, but no SS cage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know they have different mounting method. That's why I wanna remove d bolt on an 11 speed road cage and replace with mtb-bolt, to use the ss offset cage on d zee. Like I said, it's an experiment :-D. Got too many ideas in my head. Maybe I need a girlfriend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.