Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This stuff is considerably more lighter than my Deore crankset.

I installed a BB-ES51 73mm ($50?), into my Gary Fisher Tassjara 2003 frame (bb shell is 72.8).
Mechanic said it would work. I went with the Shimano Deore LX hollowtech octalink
crankset (Model FC-M572 ($70?)) for Mega 9 drivetrain. I can not believe the amount of
flex that is in the crank arm either.

At first the problem developed on the left side, I thought it was my pedal - so I tightened
it up and ruined the bearings - got new pedals - and now BOTH sides creak to hell
when I apply alot of torque when pedaling.

The situation has only gotten worse recently. (Like after I tried to tighen the crank
arms a little more.).

I don't feel any drag from the bottom bracket when pedaling - I can spin 110 rpm
without any problems.. it just when I stand up and pedal or do hills, or really
crank down in a hard gear and pedal it will creak on each down stroke.


Any ideas? Is this stuff crap?

Should I of went with the $160 Shimano Deore LX crankset?

Thanks
 

·
Addict
Joined
·
73 Posts
bas said:
This stuff is considerably more lighter than my Deore crankset.

I installed a BB-ES51 73mm ($50?), into my Gary Fisher Tassjara 2003 frame (bb shell is 72.8).
Mechanic said it would work. I went with the Shimano Deore LX hollowtech octalink
crankset (Model FC-M572 ($70?)) for Mega 9 drivetrain.
So far so good.
bas said:
I can not believe the amount of
flex that is in the crank arm either.

At first the problem developed on the left side, I thought it was my pedal - so I tightened
it up and ruined the bearings - got new pedals - and now BOTH sides creak to hell
when I apply alot of torque when pedaling.
What do you mean to tightened the pedals? Like you removed the axle and tightened the bearings inside, or you did the pedals up tigher in the crank arms??

bas said:
The situation has only gotten worse recently. (Like after I tried to tighen the crank
arms a little more.).

I don't feel any drag from the bottom bracket when pedaling - I can spin 110 rpm
without any problems.. it just when I stand up and pedal or do hills, or really
crank down in a hard gear and pedal it will creak on each down stroke.

Any ideas? Is this stuff crap?

Should I of went with the $160 Shimano Deore LX crankset?

Thanks
That crank / BB combo should be plenty stiff. What crankset are you upgrading from?

Creaking: Is everything torqued to spec? Did you grease everything that needs to be greased? ie: BB shell, splines, head of crankbolts, thread of crankbolts, pedal threads.

If yes to above, try removing the chainring bolts and applying a little lube to the threads, then re assembling.

That crank / BB setup isn't crap....assuming its installed correctly you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Hope that helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
check BB cups

as a parttime lab worker, I concur w/ Lab Worker on all counts.
what the heck did you do to your pedals?!

First check the BB cups, they should be installed with anti-sieze and teflon tape to proper torque. This will eliminate any potential creaking. It's pretty common to get creaking at this interface on aluminum frames.
If it's creaking on both sides, this should make it good to go... if not, grease & properly torque chainring bolts, crank bolts & pedal spindles in crankarms..

Still creaking? the problem is elsewhere- start checking seatpost in frame, saddle rails, etc.

Lab Worker said:
So far so good.

What do you mean to tightened the pedals? Like you removed the axle and tightened the bearings inside, or you did the pedals up tigher in the crank arms??

That crank / BB combo should be plenty stiff. What crankset are you upgrading from?

Creaking: Is everything torqued to spec? Did you grease everything that needs to be greased? ie: BB shell, splines, head of crankbolts, thread of crankbolts, pedal threads.

If yes to above, try removing the chainring bolts and applying a little lube to the threads, then re assembling.

That crank / BB setup isn't crap....assuming its installed correctly you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Hope that helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheap stock pedals, you can take a 12mm socket and tighten everything,
or take the nut off and remove the inside bolt and have all 26 ball bearings
fall out.

Shimino Deore was the stock crankset.

I also put a allen wrench in the crankarm and tightened it more to the bottom bracket.

It looks like I need to tear everything apart and regrease.

Is there a good lube you recommend?? I used some auto grease from my grease
gun.

Lab Worker said:
So far so good.

What do you mean to tightened the pedals? Like you removed the axle and tightened the bearings inside, or you did the pedals up tigher in the crank arms??

That crank / BB combo should be plenty stiff. What crankset are you upgrading from?

Creaking: Is everything torqued to spec? Did you grease everything that needs to be greased? ie: BB shell, splines, head of crankbolts, thread of crankbolts, pedal threads.

If yes to above, try removing the chainring bolts and applying a little lube to the threads, then re assembling.

That crank / BB setup isn't crap....assuming its installed correctly you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Hope that helps
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top