Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few Shimano XT BB's. A couple w/ aluminum non drive side cups the others have plastic cups. When I ordered one of the Plastic ones from Jenson USA they said they hadn't heard any problems w/ them. Can the cups be swapped between BB's? One better than the other? Thanx

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
keen said:
I have a few Shimano XT BB's. A couple w/ aluminum non drive side cups the others have plastic cups. When I ordered one of the Plastic ones from Jenson USA they said they hadn't heard any problems w/ them. Can the cups be swapped between BB's? One better than the other? Thanx
Dunno, Shimano's been switching to plastic on their square taper UN-73, which has been one of their more respectable bottom brackets. I've used both plastic and metal, neither had a problem with either, and just from an armchair engineering standpoint, I can envision plastic being tighter fitting and quieter than metal (since the purpose is to deform around, support and cushion the cartridge on the non-drive side. I'd like to believe that Shimano sees it this way, too, since they've seen fit to use it on more of their high end stuff.

Yes, the adapter can be swapped between cartridges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts