Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I'm just doing some research. How many of you would be interested in a straight replacement bearing for shimano external BB's with the following features.
1. Stainless steel - because virtually all of the bearings I replace have corroded.
2. User servicable - easily removable seals and bearing cage.

Is there a market for these?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
mtnbiker72 said:
How would they improve on these

SAE 52100 Bearings are harder than Stainless Steel...corrosion isn't a problem with a good grease. Snap ring seals would be nice, though standard seals are pretty easy to remove.
Four points.
1. Stainless steel - yes the enduros still suffer when wet.
2. Seals that don't get damaged getting them in and out.
3. Plastic sleeves mean they work with all cranks including FSA. Some crank tolerances are just wrong enough that Enduro bearings don't fit.
4. Your overall BB cup width remains exactly the same as stock.

I've sold and fitted Enduro bearings for about 4 years now, I've got a good handle on their advantages but also their limitations.

·
Stiff yet compliant
1,895 Posts
Rust is only a problem when bearings are inadequately lubricated.
Making them out of stainless may save you from corrosion which will show up first, but they will die from accelerated wear soon anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Bearings will better seals or an external zerk so they can be easily greased would be more interesting to me.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moustache rider said:
Rust is only a problem when bearings are inadequately lubricated.
Making them out of stainless may save you from corrosion which will show up first, but they will die from accelerated wear soon anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Bearings will better seals or an external zerk so they can be easily greased would be more interesting to me.
The reason for offering stainless is simple, the vast majority of the bearings I replace have corroded, not worn. For those actually wearing bearings out in the dry (the small minority), we already have a range of suitable bearing replacements.

The problem is, water gets into BB's and sits against the seal where it causes corrosion until it gets inside. Water is heavier than grease and once inside the bearing is doomed.
"Better seals" aren't an option due to a lack of space.
A stainless bearing gives you a much wider time-frame to get in, clean the water and contaminated grease out and re-grease.

An external zerk requires redesign or extensive modification of the BB cup. I can offer that already but the price doesn't stack up well against other options, like straight bearing replacement or bearing upgrades.
The other problem with a zerk to push more grease in is the water being heavier remains.
I do offer CNC storm drains cut into BB cups, both as an upgrade and as an option on new bottom brackets.
But it's not a DIY option that can be fitted in an evening in a garage workshop to your existing BB, where stainless bearings are.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
For me
#1 easily removable seals allowing me to service the bearings. I would be happy just with this option

#2 easily replaceable bearings

#3 Stainless Steel would be a cost thing for me. I don't ride in the wet a lot.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Dougal said:
Three points.
1. Stainless steel - yes the enduros still suffer when wet.
2. Seals that don't get damaged getting them in and out.
3. Plastic sleeves mean they work with all cranks including FSA. Some crank tolerances are just wrong enough that Enduro bearings don't fit.
4. Your overall BB cup width remains exactly the same as stock.

I've sold and fitted Enduro bearings for about 4 years now, I've got a good handle on their advantages but also their limitations.
1. Stainless steel still corrodes and is not as durable as Chromium bearings. Only unmaintained bearings suffer from corrosion, by making them easier to service aren't you fixing the issue?
2. Hence my suggestion of snap rings, which I've had experience with on Inline Skates bearings.
3 & 4. If you feel that is an improvement then that answers my initial question

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
1. Stainless steel still corrodes and is not as durable as Chromium bearings. Only unmaintained bearings suffer from corrosion, by making them easier to service aren't you fixing the issue?
With stainless steel the window of time you have between water entering the BB and cleaning/servicing the bearings becomes acceptable.
Technically everything corrodes (except maybe diamond and platinum) but stainless steel is a huge improvement over other bearing steels.

So yes, it's about.
1. Acceptable service interval.
2. Ease of service.

The combination of those with the CNC Storm Drains I offer will be the ultimate solution for those who ride in very wet conditions. Like river crossings.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I find the stock shimano bearings adequate. The problem is that it's a hassle to remove the seal without breaking it.

How bout some replacement seals for the stock bearings that work better and are easier to remove?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rlouder said:
I find the stock shimano bearings adequate. The problem is that it's a hassle to remove the seal without breaking it.

How bout some replacement seals for the stock bearings that work better and are easier to remove?
Honestly it's not economic to supply seals for someone elses bearings. Especially when you consider the proportion of people who find after a clean and regrease that they need new bearings anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.