Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of upgrading my Shimano Alivio front and rear derailers to something better and more precise. Should I stick with Shimano and maybe go to Deore? Or go the SRAM route?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If it's working I'd not change till it wasn't. If you do upgrade with Shimano then go to at least LX. Deore is the bottom of the better grade. Alivio is of course a step below Deore.

Can't help with SRAM, but from all posts the X.7 of X.9 would seem the way to go, but you have to get the rear derailleur to go with it.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
phazer said:
Thinking of upgrading my Shimano Alivio front and rear derailers to something better and more precise. Should I stick with Shimano and maybe go to Deore? Or go the SRAM route?
Going from Alivio to Deore is not too much of a step, so don't expect a massive change in precision by going to Deore. I have heard many good things about sram, but have not tried it. shop around and see how you can do for prices. If you can, go for LX/sram if you can. Also, if you can, try out a bike with a Deore setup to see if it is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
LX would be a sensible step, maybe Sram X7. Any higher spec and it will probably cost more than your bike is worth! Both would make a big difference.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
I went from a complete Acera 8 speed setup to a 9 speed setup. Deore shifters and a rear LX der. I noticed a big change. I have yet to mess with it as it shifts perfectly. I did keep the Acera front changer as it works so good with my cranks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kona0197 said:
I went from a complete Acera 8 speed setup to a 9 speed setup. Deore shifters and a rear LX der. I noticed a big change. I have yet to mess with it as it shifts perfectly. I did keep the Acera front changer as it works so good with my cranks.
I am thinking this is exactly what I am going to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.