Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old MTB that I would like to convert to SS on the cheap.

It has a Shimano Alivio crankset - 5 arm, 175mm, square BB. It had on it a Shimano IG chainring set ... very cheap, all welded together as a one piece unit.

Can this be used as a SS crankset plus any recommendations on a cheap chain ring?

THX

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yes and no

packgrad1992 said:
I've got an old MTB that I would like to convert to SS on the cheap.

It has a Shimano Alivio crankset - 5 arm, 175mm, square BB. It had on it a Shimano IG chainring set ... very cheap, all welded together as a one piece unit.

Can this be used as a SS crankset plus any recommendations on a cheap chain ring?

THX
simply use it as is....the outer ring serves as a bash ring. I ran mine this way with intentions of buying a 32 tooth ring that would work...but the drive side crank arm snapped off right at the spider during a creek crossing (this surprised me greatly, because it was slightly more than a dip in the trail).

These things are cast junk. DO NOT spend money on an upgraded chainring...save that money for a decent crank. I replaced mine for about the 30 bucks on an old set of Deore (NOS) at my LBS.... There are all kinds of great ways to save money, cranks are an area I have learned not to "save" on.

Just my thoughts.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Your cranks are an area where you don't want to skimp although you don't have to spend insane amounts of money to get a decent crank that you can build up as a single... the Deores are great value.

When making a single you will either need to use shorter chain ring bolts or spacers if the single is going to run alone...if you run a bashguard you can use the original bolts and a bashguard serves double duty as it also works as a front chain guide.

Singlespeeds have to withstand a lot more punishment as there is a lot more standing and mashing which puts the greatest amount of torque on the cranks so you will want them to be strong.

My 13 year old son just built his own SS (with some help from dad) on an old Miele UA150 frame and I purchased an entry level Shimano crankset that we easily converted to a single.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.