Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I did not found any thread on this new IGH so I thought I start one...

Did bought this for my 29+ Motobecane SS (see my other posts).

I will skip the building part unless someone has questions about it.

My experience with IGH is a new SA 3 speed and a very used and rusty Nexus 8 speed with coaster brake.

I have around 100 kms on this hub.

It really feel like rolling good from the start, doesn't seem to need any bedding to me. No noise on any gears.

I don't like the new "top down" shifting. It is not natural since most system use the tension to gear up and release to gear down. Also when you stop and leave your bike, you either need to shift to 8th to release coil tension (which I read somewhere is better for durability of the coil). Or leave it as is and keep the coil tensioned.

I also don't like trigger shifter since you are not able to multishift. When you ride in city you need to multishift when you stop quickly and start again. I have grip shift on my old nexus and prefer it for quick gear change and simplicity.

Apart from these 2 things I had very little slipage of misengage of gears. Let say once per 2h00 riding with intense shifting (city use and I always use my gears when starting). I need to lube the shift cable and cut it shorter as I suspect this can cause some actuation problems.

I really feel the difference between my old nexus. The freewheel on this one is totally silent.

I also like the sealing plastic cap on the right (cog) side which is both easy to dismount and seal much better than the clip-on on the old hubs. I added some boat trailer grease to keep the water out as I felt Shimano didn't put enough.

I will update this post when I have more mileage on the hub.

Oh and I am geared 33x20 which I think is below Shimano recommendations but since I'm a light rider (140 lbs) and not a super athlete, it should be ok.

I cut the cable and sleeve to fit my bike. I also put some oil inside the sleeve. Shifting is now easier than before and feel really instant.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I cut the cable and sleeve to fit my bike. I lso put some inside the sleeve. Shifting is now easier than before and feel really instant.
Some grease? Oil? Marshmallow fluff?

Thanks for the review. I recently got this hub, too. I don't know how much I've used it, probably 2 or 3 hundred miles. I'm hoping it proves reliable because right now it's on my touring/commuting bike, and I'd like to use it on my Troll when I get it.

The shifting direction isn't an issue for me because I wasn't used to the old way. And I've never heard a recommendation to move the shifter to its most slack state. Because it's geared kind of low for my commute, it's usually in the upper range anyway, but because I live at the top of a hill, the bike is usually in the middle of the gear range overnight.

4th gear feels a little "crunchy" to me. It works fine. No shifting issues. But I get a little vibration through the drive train and think "I must be in 4th gear." and sure enough.

But over all, I'm very happy with this hub so far. I'm coming from a Nuvinci, and you just can't beat Nuvinci's shifting: shift under load, shift to any point in the range, not just a particular gear. But this hub is lighter, which I appreciate, and removing the wheel is easier as well. I'm already in the market for a 2nd one, so that I can have two wheels running the same hub to facilitate swapping between them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some grease? Oil? Marshmallow fluff?

Thanks for the review. I recently got this hub, too. I don't know how much I've used it, probably 2 or 3 hundred miles. I'm hoping it proves reliable because right now it's on my touring/commuting bike, and I'd like to use it on my Troll when I get it.

The shifting direction isn't an issue for me because I wasn't used to the old way. And I've never heard a recommendation to move the shifter to its most slack state. Because it's geared kind of low for my commute, it's usually in the upper range anyway, but because I live at the top of a hill, the bike is usually in the middle of the gear range overnight.

4th gear feels a little "crunchy" to me. It works fine. No shifting issues. But I get a little vibration through the drive train and think "I must be in 4th gear." and sure enough.

But over all, I'm very happy with this hub so far. I'm coming from a Nuvinci, and you just can't beat Nuvinci's shifting: shift under load, shift to any point in the range, not just a particular gear. But this hub is lighter, which I appreciate, and removing the wheel is easier as well. I'm already in the market for a 2nd one, so that I can have two wheels running the same hub to facilitate swapping between them.
Sorry I wrote this a little to quick. I corrected my previous post.

I think you are correct about leaving the shifter wherever you want.
I take great care of my stuff and I read somewhere that stuff need to be "unloaded" when not in use so it made sense to me for this hub :)

I still prefer "loading" the coil for gearing up and "unloading" for gearing down. I think most derailleurs work this way too.

Still going strong on my bike. The hub is not performing perfect but it is quite close and no crunching in any gears. I need to check the indicator to know in which gear I am.

Also I read the user and dealer manuals and it state the "recommended" chainring to cog ratio. there is not statement that you must not use one out of the range :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been running the SG-S7000-8 for a while and the comparison with the previous version is pretty much based on the routing of the cable to emulate that of the 11 speed. In that respect it is easier to work on taking the wheel off / on. I believe the internals are the same so did not expect or detect any change from the 501 which is what I had before going single speed in the meantime. I have had no problems with the SL-S7000-8 Rapidfire Plus shift lever either but it only allows a single gear change at any one time as opposed to the 11 speed shift which allows two. The SG-S7000-8 still uses grease for lubrication so I have not had any problems with leakage unlike the 11 which constanty weeps a little (but is smoother overall).

·
A God Without A Name
1,326 Posts
Yeah, the internals are proven on these hubs, and more or less unchanged. The shifter/ gear selector and a few little bits have been changed, the shifter was indeed changed to emulate the 11 speed, which itself was designed to emulate a normal derailleur shifter.

tiny changes must have been made to help with drag as well, because I've seen enough 500 series Alfines, and the two S7000's I just set up for a customer were the least draggy I've ever handled. and I love that the shifter doesn't feel dead and backwards anymore.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love that the shifter doesn't feel dead and backwards anymore.
Do you mean that you prefer the new shifting up/down ?

I did a small trip this weekend, around 150 kms. Bike was pretty heavy and going on steep hill. No problems with the hub. Still love it :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've got over a thousand K (over 700 miles) on my sg-s501 and its running smooth and quiet. Better than ever, now that its broken in.
I was going to have (and am still considering it...have an order ready to call in) a second set of wheels made for my Pugsley... some 29+ Rabbit Holes, so that I could roll as a Krampugs. The beauty of that idea depends on being able to do a quick wheel swap.
But Shimano kind of pulled the rug out from under those plans by changing the shifter along with the upgrade to sg-s7000.
Now, a "quick" wheel switch is not possible, since I would have to remove the R-hand grip, brake lever, and shifter from my bars, as well as the cable (only 5 zip-ties), and then re-install the other shifter and cable and stuff, just to swap wheel sets. That looks like too much faffing around. I wanted a quick swap.

So now, I am looking for a new-in-box SG-S501, so that I can go ahead with my plans to set up a Krampugs. Otherwise, it looks like I'm going to save some money and not purchase an extra wheel set. My Marge Lite wheel set are really all the wheels I need.
I had so much fun on an 18 mile ride over varied terrain yesterday (capped off with a 5+ mile downwind sail on the beach at low tide, finishing up as the sun was setting), that 3" wagon wheels couldn't have added even a tiny bit more pleasure...might have felt slightly different, but I couldn't have had any more fun than I did on my current wheel set.
Now I'm thinking: why even try to improve on what's already working perfectly?

This gives me incentive to save up for a Carver Ti O'Beast Pinion!;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Completely agree with you. Why change something that works well ?
I don't understand why Shimano switched gear change. That and the fact they don't offer twist shifter anymore...

For the Pugs, I guess if you don't always ride concrete your current wheelset is good, if you don't mind a little extra drag from larger tires.

But as always, it comes down to personal tastes :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am doing OK right now by simply altering my tire pressures. I started out yesterday's ride with a quick 1.5 mi sprint up the highway with 9 lbs F (no self-steer at all at 9 lbs), and 11 lbs R, and then rode some singletrack without letting any air out, since I had another couple of miles of pavement after that before I hit the next trail network (where I was again lazy and didn't let any air out or the tires...I prefer 7-8 F and 9-10 R for these trails), followed by a brief dash over more pavement to the beach, where I aired my tires (Fat B Nimbles) down to about 6 F and 8 R for the mainly hard-packed sand closer to the water (was low tide).
The FBNs roll smoothly on the pavement at the higher pressures, although they howl a bit.
My SG-S501 has been running flawlessly ever since I fine-tuned the cable adjustment.
So, I can just alter my ride with changes in tire pressure.
I'm going to swap my rear cog the next time I have the wheel off. Going from a 20 t to a 19 t. I'm running a 26 t chainring, and the 20 t cog I'm now trying seems just a tad too low. I might need that if i went on a hilly bike tour. The 18 t cog I started with worked fine, and I might go back to that, now that I'm recovering more from my heart failure and getting stronger again.

·
Registered
618 Posts
But Shimano kind of pulled the rug out from under those plans by changing the shifter along with the upgrade to sg-s7000.
Now, a "quick" wheel switch is not possible, since I would have to remove the R-hand grip, brake lever, and shifter from my bars, as well as the cable (only 5 zip-ties), and then re-install the other shifter and cable and stuff, just to swap wheel sets. That looks like too much faffing around. I wanted a quick swap.

So now, I am looking for a new-in-box SG-S501, so that I can go ahead with my plans to set up a Krampugs. Otherwise, it looks like I'm going to save some money and not purchase an extra wheel set. My Marge Lite wheel set are really all the wheels I need.
I think, and I could be completely wrong about this, that the shifter will actually work, but it will work in reverse. That may not actually be helpful for a quick wheel change, because it means that suddenly the "gear up" lever will gear down and vice versa. Could get confusing. But my understanding is that the cable pulls are the same, as long as you set it up remembering that 8 on the shifter means 1 on the hub. Although I have also read somewhere that the pinch bolt at the end of the shift cable is also different. So swap out the wheel, swap out the pinch bolt, and remember that your gears are backwards now, and you're good to go. Still not as easy and far from ideal, but maybe possible. Also your little, yellow dots would have to line up when the shifter shows 5, not 4.

I do feel like there are still new SG-501s to be had. I am in the opposite situation. I bought my wheel completely ignorant of the changes to the hub, but I got an s7000. I haven't used the other to compare them, but it seems to work fine. But now, because I also want to do easy wheel swaps, I have to confirm that I'm buying the new hub rather than the old one.

Completely agree with you. Why change something that works well ?
I don't understand why Shimano switched gear change. That and the fact they don't offer twist shifter anymore...
I don't know the reason for the change, but I expect it hits us harder because we're at the transition point. Going forward the new way will likely become the standard. My understanding is that the twist shifter was technically a Nexus part. Since the hub internals were pretty much the same, they were interchangeable. Technically, I think you could still use a Nexus twist shifter, but the numbers would be backwards and the rotation direction would be the opposite of what it'd be when used on a Nexus or S501 hub.

It seems like preserving that compatibility between the Nexus and the Alfine hubs would be desirable, and it seems like if the reversed shifting is somehow beneficial to the Alfine hubs, then it would also be beneficial to the Nexus hubs, so perhaps Nexus hubs will be similarly changed, and we'll get a proper twist shifter again.

I did buy a twist shifter for my S7000 before I realized that it would be backwards when compared to my hub. Fortunately by the time I got it, I had grown accustom to the trigger shifter, so I never had the irritation or confusion of trying to install it and having everything run backwards.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the info, Rob_E. I'm just going to maintain my Pugs in its current configuration. Its awesome enough, already! I have no complaints about my SG-S501. I am not expecting it to fail.
If I don't go for a Pinion bike (probably with Gates belt drive), my next bike will likely have an SG-S7000.

I've toyed with the idea of starting over with a SG-S7000 and another rear Marge Lite wheel build, and then springing for a set of Rabbit Holes on top of that, so that I can go ahead with the Krampugs plan, but the Pugs I have is awesome as it is, being a dedicated Pugs.
I'm now stepping back from the 29+ bandwagon, and squinting hard.:skep:
I know that I don't need one.
I might have to save my coin for the category killer.;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I read that the 5th is a longer pull but you could be right.

Anyway it's too complicated for me, I'll stick with the trigger shifter for now and eventually try the new SA rotary 5 speed hub when it will be available.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, I read that the 5th is a longer pull but you could be right.
From what I've read, the cable pull from 4th gear to 5th gear is a longer pull than any of the other gear shifts. But that's the same for both hubs, 501 and 7000. And the 4th-5th transition is in the middle of the shifting sequence, so when the hub is going from 4th to 5th, the shifter reads that's going from 5th to 4th. Same amount of cable pull either way.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I 'm pretty sure that the longer push is from 5th to 6th on my SG-S501.
I did locate a nib 501 on the net. Might have to go for it, as the price of admission into pinion/ti/carbon/gates is downright humiliating!:eekster:

From what I've read, the cable pull from 4th
gear to 5th gear is a longer pull than any of the other gear shifts. But that's the same for both hubs, 501 and 7000. And the 4th-5th transition is in the middle of the shifting sequence, so when the hub is going from 4th to 5th, the shifter reads that's going from 5th to 4th. Same amount of cable pull either way.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This is where I most recently found info about the shifters: CTC Forum ? View topic - Alfine 8 query

They did some measuring of cable pull to confirm that it should work in both directions. Not sure if anyone is actually running that set-up, though. Apart from the case where you wanted to swap out wheels, there's really not much need, I guess. Just find the shifter that matches your hub.

·
A God Without A Name
1,326 Posts
The old shifter doesn't work at all. I played with it during our customers installs. (We had it in stock, i fiddled with it while waiting for shimano to send us the s7000 shifter)

My 501 works ideally, but I like the 7000 much, much more. They fixed pretty much every complaint I had. The new shifter feels a lot better.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts