Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just some guy
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a high pivot bike that requires 130 links. The Shimano XTR 12sp chains I have are 126 links. I broke four links off another 12sp Shimano chain. I reinserted the pin with my chain breaker. That exploded on me in less than 100 feet of pedaling. I tried again, and the next time it broke at about five miles. How do I add links to a Shimano 12sp chain without a quick link?

·
damned rocks...
2,551 Posts
on 12spd? longest I've seen is 126.
I was under the impression I saw them in three sizes when I ordered one last week (114, 126, 136), but I check it before replying to the OP and saw 12s chains listed with 138 links.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,852 Posts
I was under the impression I saw them in three sizes when I ordered one last week (114, 126, 136), but I check it before replying to the OP and saw 12s chains listed with 138 links.
interesting. I was just looking myself because I ought to buy a spare before I need it and only saw listings for 114 and 126 (and a bunch at 126 only). where'd you see 136 for sale?

·
damned rocks...
2,551 Posts
interesting. I was just looking myself because I ought to buy a spare before I need it and only saw listings for 114 and 126 (and a bunch at 126 only). where'd you see 136 for sale?
Mostly in German online stores, for me the 114 links versions is enough and cheaper, but I noticed the other two extra sizes available.
I also noticed that even chains are in short supply, mostly the Shimano's 12s stuff, and rear derailleurs, and 6bolts 203mm disc rotors with aluminium spider, it was a pain to get everything I needed from the same store.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,852 Posts
Mostly in German online stores, for me the 114 links versions is enough and cheaper, but I noticed the other two extra sizes available.
I also noticed that even chains are in short supply, mostly the Shimano's 12s stuff, and rear derailleurs, and 6bolts 203mm disc rotors with aluminium spider, it was a pain to get everything I needed from the same store.
Ah. damn german shops often have things I can't get in the US. and of course, they can't ship shimano 12spd stuff to the us anymore.

I just looked at a few US shops, and also noted that availability is iffy. only place that had the xtr chain was selling it for higher than msrp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts