Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hy guys!!
I little help needed :thumbsup:
I want to upgrade my Bike with the Shimano 12V stuff.
There's the bike:

So it will be a 12V Shimano XT cassete, chain, shifter, derailleur, and the Dt Swiss Micro Spinline to my 240s rear Hub.
I Want to maintain the SRAM Carbon crankset (it has a 32T X-Sync 2 Eagle SRAM Chainring) but the LBS says it will not work with the new Shimano chain :nono: (It makes sense)

What solutions do i have to maintain the 12v Shimano Chain?(& take advantage of all of the ecosystem)
I dont see a lot of SRAM direct Mount Chainrings compatible with the Shimano 12v stuff, shouldn't it be already available in the on-line stores various offers?
Anyone in this situation? How are you using your drivetrains in similar situations?
Thks in advance!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you ever used an oval chainring? Absoluteblack makes a Sram DM chainring with the correct offset and NW profile for Shimano HG+. I used a GX crank with this DM chainring on an otherwise Shimano drivetrain.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
You can also run a SRAM chainring With the shimano 12s chain if you ditch the Shimano masterlink, and run the Eagle masterlink. It’s not perfect, but it seems to work 99% ok. (I totally made up that number)

And did you mean 12S and not ‘12V’?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thks for the help you guys!
Yep i ment 12S :p

I found some comments about that SRAM Eagle/KMC master link Hack working. But on the wolftooth site they mention it will wear quickly the chain and make grinding noises...:nono:

So i will probably buy the Absolute Black or the Wolf Tooth Front Chainring :confused: (not much choice here...)

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
One of my bikes is Shimano 12 speed with an XX1 crank. I ran an Eagle quick link on it with a standard SRAM AB oval all last year until switching to the special AB oval made for Shimano/SRAM cranks in March or so of this year.
Never had any issues with the configuration, just figured might as well switch to the "right one" and use the Shimano link as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts