Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, moving to 12s Shimano and not sure what crank to use:
Option 1 change ring on current SRAM carbon X01 to Wolftooth Camo system which is approved for 12s Shimano chains
Option 2 Add Wheelsmfg 30-24mm adaptor and use Shimano Black series cranks MT900

The BB is a one ride old Hope PF46 30mm so I don’t really want to replace it to run the 24mm cranks. Do the adaptors work well?
I currently have both the Black crank and X01.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
By adapters, do you mean the pieces that just slide on and step down the fit from 30mm to 24mm? If that's what you're asking about, I've not heard any complaints back from the lady who's bike I did exactly that on a few years ago using the same Wheels adapter, but she is riding road though.

The cheaper option though would be just get the new ring and see how that goes, then if for some reason you aren't happy, then go for option 2, nothing really lost, definitely don't have to worry about BB creak issues as a possibility.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,370 Posts
When you add those reducer adapters to your bb/crank setup, you increase the potential for creaks.

If it was me, I'd just do the chainring change. It's less hassle and less expense. Doing the rest of the 12spd shimano change will be expensive enough. Don't add to it unless you have to.

Though since you already have the black crank, there's not as much of a cost difference. Guess you'd have to get a chainring either way. I'd still have a slight preference for not running adapters, so I'd probably still use the sram crank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.