Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
PoDaddy
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the groupset is finally here..... about one week after I bought SLX brakes. Just my luck. Anyone have any info or ride reports? I know it's early...

·
since 4/10/2009
34,575 Posts
I've been on the 12spd xtr for a bit. Yes, hyperglide+ is legit. Shifting under power actually works. I've actually tried to make it complain. Shifting 1 cog under power is not a problem at all either direction. Shifting 2 or more gears at a time under power (downshifting) will generate clunkiness and chatter. 2 cogs it will make some noise but still shift without appreciable problems. More than that and you start getting functional issues with executing the shift, but that's to be understood given what's happening.

Yeah, the brakes aren't revolutionary changes. Shimano isn't even marketing them that way. Shimano has been releasing non-series budget 4 pot brakes for awhile, and the only things that've changed are some subtle lever tweaks that nobody except the highest level riders are going to really notice. IMO, not worth the expense over the previous generation for most riders. I've got a bunch of previous gen shimano brakes on other bikes and they're all staying put. In fact, for the price shimano's asking for the new brakes, particularly the xtr m9120 (as opposed to previous generations), I bought something else (Hayes Dominion A4) and I don't regret that decision.

For that matter, I've got a couple Shimano 11spd drivetrains on other bikes and they're staying put, also. I'm usually a buy-the-previous-generation sort of buyer, to get what's cheaper and more reliable. The only reason I'm on 12spd Shimano on one of my bikes right now is because I knew this step was coming (XTR, XT, and SLX all on 12spd cassettes with the microspline freehub body) and I was building a new bike. I knew the wheels I bought would be nice wheels and that once I bought into a particular freehub body system, there would be a higher cost to change ecosystems. I almost went to an xD driver (weight savings at the rear end of the bike), but I opted for micro spline instead once it came out as I like that concept a little better. I ponied up for an xtr cassette to begin with, fairly certain that by the time I wore it out, there'd be a more affordable xt version available. Well, that's now assured. I'm not sad that I spent more money on my most recent bike to get the improved shift quality.

The biggest obstacle to adopting this new shimano drivetrain, though, is the freehub body. When I bought mine, only a few high end hub manufacturers were options. It was no problem for me since I was already planning on putting I9 wheels on this bike. But right now, there aren't really any SLX-budget hubs available that use this freehub body. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks there will be. IMO, this new shimano drivetrain isn't worth it if you pair it with an Eagle cassette and chain. It will work, but HG+ is in the cassette and chain.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts

Attachments

·
since 4/10/2009
34,575 Posts
Pivot, Cube, Radon off the top of my head.
I reiterate. I have never seen a bike with a shimano dm rear derailleur. I have seen precious few european brands on the trails, and not many pivots, and those only from a distance such that I couldn't tell which derailleur hanger standard they used.

The new shimano 12spd rear derailleurs are doing away with the direct mount interface. So if some manufacturers offer it for 11spd shimano stuff, they will have to stop using it for 12spd shimano stuff.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,157 Posts
I reiterate. I have never seen a bike with a shimano dm rear derailleur. I have seen precious few european brands on the trails, and not many pivots, and those only from a distance such that I couldn't tell which derailleur hanger standard they used.

The new shimano 12spd rear derailleurs are doing away with the direct mount interface. So if some manufacturers offer it for 11spd shimano stuff, they will have to stop using it for 12spd shimano stuff.

This could take a beating.

Iron Metal Bicycle part Machine Bicycle chain

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
It looks like Shimano re-designed the whole mount area. I never realized direct mount was a "thing" for the rd itself. You just pulled off the b knuckle and screwed it right into the hanger. The new rd look more like a direct mount, but a direct mount that fits normal hangars. So I like that.

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
From what I personally have in the garage and have seen online, a lot of the road bike derailleurs are direct mount; as far as mountain bike ones, it looks like it more or less ended with 9-speed Deore (Deore and most of the stuff below that like Acera has a direct mount, 10-speed and above looks pretty much standard mount).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

I spent a while looking for a direct mount Ibis hanger, which had been discontinued by Ibis. About a week after I finally found a source and bought a few, Shimano announced the M9100 stuff and it was obvious that they were going away forever. So that sucked.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,575 Posts
From what I personally have in the garage and have seen online, a lot of the road bike derailleurs are direct mount; as far as mountain bike ones, it looks like it more or less ended with 9-speed Deore (Deore and most of the stuff below that like Acera has a direct mount, 10-speed and above looks pretty much standard mount).
Um, no

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I spent a while looking for a direct mount Ibis hanger, which had been discontinued by Ibis. About a week after I finally found a source and bought a few, Shimano announced the M9100 stuff and it was obvious that they were going away forever. So that sucked.
Well actually the term direct mount is going away, but the derailleur design is basically the same thing that fits the usual hangers. You should be happy.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well actually the term direct mount is going away, but the derailleur design is basically the same thing that fits the usual hangers. You should be happy.
I wasted $50 on parts I will never use, it's not that big a deal but it was kind of annoying considering the time I wasted trying to find them and then finding out they were instantly obsolete like a week later. It's not just a term, it is a fundamental difference in the design.

Yes, the new derailleurs only fit the traditional hanger. The direct mount design is not a traditional hanger. I believe it came into use around 2012, there was an extra component on many Shimano derailleurs called a B-Knuckle that could be removed for use of the direct mount style hanger. They dropped that design feature for the M9100 series and beyond apparently. Good or bad, pointless or not, it is different and it has been eliminated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.