Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was very happy with my xt m8100 shifters, multiple shifts up and down under power with hg+ cassette. Not so much anymore, as I've developed trigger finger in my thumb in my early 30s. M8100 definitely require way more force than m8000 shifters. Have switched shifters to sram gripshift eagle gx which works like a charm with the m8100 cassette and derraileur.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
3,209 Posts
Well, I hexed myself posting here A few days ago. I just had 2nd XT shifter fail. Bummer. I think new Shimano 1 x 12 drivetrain is great, but Shifter is not very durable. I switched to SRAM shifter on my shimano drivetrain, yesterday, until Shimano re engineers this shifter. They need to recall these flimsy shifters. Cross post with MTBR XTR shifter fail thread. I am looking forward to Shimano‘s remedy. BTW, I have used Shimano shifters on every bike since 1989, I have never broken one until this 8100 garbage.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I toss this question out here. I've been using SRAM the better part of the last 10 years. Just picked up a new bike with Shimano SLX 12 speed. The shifter is my biggest gripe with the new bike. The sram shifter to make the gears harder is the perfect size and in the right spot. I can't figure out where to set the Shimano shifter for it to feel right. Do they make a larger lever that can be added? It feels hidden and too small. I'd also never use the index finger option so I'd be fine if that option was lost if it can be changed.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts