Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of mileage is everyone getting out of Shimano 12 speed cassettes?

I have an xtr cassette, just put a second chain on it after about 1000 miles even though it wasn't reading as worn. The cassette looks like it has life left but it isn't happy with the new chain, I'm dropping some downshifts. Wish I kept the old chain 馃う

Registered
I change my chains at max. 0,5 wear and currently have 4500km on my XT cassette with 0 problems. In case it starts rejecting a new chain I can always get a few thousand more from it by rotating the 3 used chains I have.

Registered
I just did my first chain replacement (xtr) at 2,200 miles and fully intend to get at least that much mileage on the second one before even thinking about cassette (xtr) replacement. I do keep a very close eye on chain wear and am meticulous when it comes to cleaning and lubricating though, so (as they say) your mileage may vary!

Registered
Im running a Deore cassette and SLX chains with a 34t chainring. I change my chains when they just barely fit into the 0.75 slot on my chain wear checker which based on ruler measurements is around 0.5 'actual' wear. The cassette is at around 2600 miles and on its fifth chain (I wear chains out quickly as I ride XC and do a lot of climbing) and the bottom 6 cogs are looking quite eroded - by eye some of the teeth are about 1/3 smaller than my unused cassette. The current chain was installed 200 miles ago and it was skipping on the 10t when lots of power was put down, but its worn a bit and doesnt skip now. If im lucky I reckon ill be able to squeeze one more chain out of the loose cogs, and maybe two more out of the spider.

Registered
I'm at 1700 miles on a deore cassette and XT chain. Mixture of riding, lots of climbing and riding in any conditions. Cassette is looking worn though, most likely going to replace both next spring. Kept clean and at least wiped down after/before most rides.

West Chester, PA
Not sure about mileage... Maybe 1500. Chain broke too. Derailleur cage bent, but I bent it back and it's working fine. Wasn't shifting but I was hammering up a short steep climb.
The 51 started creaking immediately after the warranty ran out, so that's been pissing me off for a while too. Good riddance
Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel

West Chester, PA
It was the chain and it was my fault. I think I accidentally used the 1.0 side of my chain checker last time I inspected it . After removing it, the .75 side of my checker inserted easily. Laying it out next to the new chain, it was over 1/2" longer. Bottom line is, overall length means everything. I didn't really think twice because the shifting was still great. The inner plates on the 12 SPD chains are really thin brand new. Theyre just not going to last as long.
So, for now, I have the world's only 11 spd xtr 9100 cassette. I cut the 51 off the cluster (for lightness,lol) and ordered a 30t front ring to replace my 32. B gap adjustment maxed out. It could be a bit tighter to the 45, but It shifts perfect. The limit screw was just long enough.

West Chester, PA
I start with 3 new chains and rotate them every 500 miles. This will keep an effectively newer chain on the cassette and chain ring and extend service life. I can usually achieve three full rotations before replacing the chains.
I don't really track mileage but I believe I generally do about 750 a year. I'm not letting a chain go more than a year from now on. Especially if I buy another $400 cassette

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update...the new chain is doing a lot better now, haven't had any issues on my last few rides. So does that mean that a new chain can actually wear in a bit to work better with the old cassette over time?

I have an xtr cassette, just put a second chain on it after about 1000 miles even though it wasn't reading as worn. The cassette looks like it has life left but it isn't happy with the new chain, I'm dropping some downshifts. Wish I kept the old chain 馃う

Nurse Ben

I don鈥檛 count miles, but I do change my chain once a year, two XT 12sp cassettes with two seasons on each, I ride three times a week.

No issues so far, but intend to ride stuff till it breaks.

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
I get more than 2000 miles on new XT 12 Speed Chain / Cassette (3000 miles on cassett). It鈥檚 the best setup I鈥檝e ever had. They last longer than a year for me, and I do about 200 rides per year, average ride 10 miles. 4000 miles on XT chainring and XT derailleur. All of these parts are toast now, and I鈥檓 about to install new parts. XT shifter on the other hand has broken twice in 2 years, both times covered by warranty. I鈥檓 using SRAM XX1 shifter for my XT drivetrain Until Shimano figures out their shifter issues. The XT shifter is great when it鈥檚 working. We all know that the rear derailleur is hit or miss depending upon how many times you hit something with it. I鈥檓 amazed how good rear mech is, and I鈥檝e been lucky to not fatally hit it on a rock. But if you don鈥檛 get 4000 miles on your rear mech, that鈥檚 your line choice, not Shimano鈥檚 fault.

Magically Delicious
Curious when people put a new chain on a used drivetrain, do you find it more noisy? Specifically, more gritty, sticky sounding.
I think the answer would be yes if your chain went directly from package to install. OEM chains come new with a pretty thick assembly grease that is somewhat thick and sticky. I remove the exterior preservative coating, but leave the internal lubricant initially. That might be the explanation for your situation.

Registered
I think the answer would be yes if your chain went directly from package to install. OEM chains come new with a pretty thick assembly grease that is somewhat thick and sticky. I remove the exterior preservative coating, but leave the internal lubricant initially. That might be the explanation for your situation.
Yea - agreed. I gave it a cleaning with some brake cleaner and re-lubed. I will see how it goes now.

Magically Delicious
^^^^
There are so many variables that will impact the one persons cassette service life over another. This will be all over the map.
  • Level & quality of maintenance - prolly most contributing factor - the definition of good maintenance to one person might be neglect to another.
  • Chain maintenance quality & replacement frequency
  • Riding environment - wet-dry-dusty
  • Riding style

1 - 20 of 51 Posts