Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some of you experience on how well a 12 spd shimano chain would do on the 11-51 Sunrace cassette?

I read a lot of mixed reviews/comments online. Some were very good and some very bad. After digging a bit deeper I think the chain will make a big difference in experience.

Right now I have a 3x10 Deore drivetrain, but want to upgrade.
I ordered a Deore 6100 mech and shifter and want to use the CSMZ800 cassette. I will keep my octalink cranks and just put on some china 32T n/w chainring in the middle I still have laying around.

As for the chain I really wasn't sure if that china ring and the Sunrace cassette can handle the special HG+ chain and will try out a GX Eagle first.

I was also thinking about switching to Microspine, but a new hub, spokes and the Deore cassette would be more expensive and like my steel HG hub body as I can put on almost any speed cassette and not just 12 speed ones.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
If you search in the drivetrain forum for the MZ903 - the lighter version (more AL cogs) of the MZ800 you'll find a few threads; my understanding from the thread below is it's designed for the Shimano chain. On my spare/loaner I am running the MZ903 11/51 12-speed cassette, M6100 SGS RDR, FSA narrow ride chainring on SLX M660 cranks using an SLX CN-7100 12-speed Shimano chain. All works well but I did have to set the B-gap closer (lower than the 51T line on the RDR) to get great shifting. This thread has a good bit of info: https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-.../shifting-issues-12sp-upgrade-ht-1121039.html

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you search in the drivetrain forum for the MZ903 - the lighter version (more AL cogs) of the MZ800 you'll find a few threads; my understanding from the thread below is it's designed for the Shimano chain. On my spare/loaner I am running the MZ903 11/51 12-speed cassette, M6100 SGS RDR, FSA narrow ride chainring on SLX M660 cranks using an SLX CN-7100 12-speed Shimano chain. All works well but I did have to set the B-gap closer (lower than the 51T line on the RDR) to get great shifting. This thread has a good bit of info: https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-.../shifting-issues-12sp-upgrade-ht-1121039.html
Thanks you.
Have you ever tried a different non Shimano 12 speed chain on the Sunrace?

From my understanding the part about
"designed for the Shimano" is meant for the size ( 51T) and not having actually HG+

I mean Shimano would not allow others to copy their cassette / teeth design just like that, right?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
So far I'm only using a Shimano chain on the MZ903.

Sunrace does not appear to have copied the new 12-speed Shimano cogs; however since there are supposed to be differences in the plates of the new Shimano chain that Sunrace probably accounts for as shifting is very good on my setup. The Sunrace shift ramps appear more like my older XT M8000 11/46 than the HG+ cassettes. However they are also a bit more pronounced than my wife's Sunrace MX8 cassettes.

I also have an SLX HG+ cassette on my main bike and the 11-speed Deore M5100 on my fatty; you can see there is a visible difference in the 5 largest cogs up/down shift ramps over 3rd party and all previous Shimano cassettes EXCEPT the 11-speed M5100 11/51. The M5100 appears to use the same shift ramps on the first 4 cogs as as the 12-speed in my side by side comparison. If I had to guess those cogs are identical to the the Deore M6100 since the tooth count is the same until you get to the smaller cogs then they are off a bit to spread the 1 gear difference.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So today came all the stuff I need.

I immediately checked the clutch on the mech..........and of course it was as bone dry as I thought it would be :(

Seriously, until now I just had ridden 2 test bikes with an SLX and an XT derailleur, but I could not ride far because the cage got stuck in a extended position.
Shimano's quality control has become so bad over the past 2 years.
Well whatever I'm glad I checked it and will grease it myself.

The Sunrace cassette looks very good. If it's at least on Deore level I'm fine with it.

I will build up the new drivetrain this evening a may make a short test run.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Looking forward to your thoughts!

I've had various Sunrace cassettes from the 11/42 MX3 all the way through the MZ903 that I posed above and all have performed well and met my expectations. I've not bent any cogs even though I'm 225 and have a strong cadence however I try to shift smoothly. I'd agree that it's at least Deore level. I never let the slight difference in B-screw adjustment (teeth above the line) be a con.... it works just fine once all cogs are shifting.

Reply back once you have some opinions.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had 2 Sunrace cassettes before.
A 11-46 and a 11-50.

Both the highest versions with al cogs.
They were working fine, but shifting on them was always slower than on Shimano, or Sram cassettes.

I'm ok with that since this 12 cassette goes on my daily beater bike.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I did not manage to finish today.

First I had an epic battle with the chain ring bolts on my triple crank.
Whoever put these on was a hardcore loctite and torque lover.

Than I needed a while to get my chainline right.

Well, and after that I needed to repair the clutch on my brand new derailleur. :madman:
Before I even startet to grease it I wanted to engage the clutch once.

I heard a popping noise, followed by zero resistance from the clutch.
The cam unit has this cylinder in between that rotates against the spring.
And it simply popped out,because it was bent.
I bent it back and put the cylinder back into place.
After that I greased the clutch mechanism. Everything works fine now.

Gee, Shimano.

Anyway I only need to put the chain on and adjust the drivetrain.
I will do this tomorrow and try to give some feedback.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All works well but I did have to set the B-gap closer (lower than the 51T line on the RDR) to get great shifting.
So I'm done and I have to thank you again. :)
What you wrote about the B-Line is true.

First I had problemes adjusting the drivetrain
I cut the chain lenght according to the Shimano guideline, but not matter what I did it just would not work.
The B-Screw was already completely out and the derailleur was still a bit over the B-Line.
I know this problem from my last time were I installed a Eagle with a Sunrace cassette. ( similar B-Screw problem )

I added the bare minimum of 2 more links to the chain and adjusted the B-Screw again starting at the B-Line.

I carefully made small changes to it and the cable tension until I was statisfied.

After a short ride with some steep climbes it looks already very good.
I guess I will still have to do some micro adjustments.
Shifting feels pretty crisp.

What surprised me was how much quieter my setup is to the full SLX, or XT group. Those 2 groups were awfully load and clunky when I test ridden them. It really made me dislike the new Shimano 12 speed group at the time.

Here are some pics.

Before ( triple Deore )

After ( saved at least 300g :p )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
My pleasure, glad it helped and it’s very good to hear that it’s working well! I have no issues at all with the Sunrace, especially for a bike that a Microspline hub is too much of an upgrade. I even bought a few extra cassettes a while a go as I plan on keeping them around. My full Shimano shifts a little better especially under load but the Sunrace is no dog... but I like to tune for perfection :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts