Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SRAM X1 11-speed RD's clutch is not working as well as it did in 2015 and i keep dropping my chain on rock gardens, even with a chainguide installed.

I have decided to go back to Shimano as I heard the clutch is much better now than it was in the 10-speed era. I'm going with an XTR shifter but I'd like to explore other options for my rear derailleur.

My choices are now down to these combos:

1) XTR M9000 RD + M9000 shifter
2) XT M8000 mid-cage RD + XTR M9000 shifter
3) XTR M9100 mid-cage RD (11 speed, 2019 model) + XTR m9000 shifter
4) XTR M9100 mid-cage RD (11 speed, 2019 model) + XTR M9100 shifter

I figured the most economical choice would be combo #2 but I can actually get good deals on older XTR m9000 stuff since the newer XTR M9100 is now widely available. Combo #4 is definitely the most expensive as it just came out (by probably about an extra $50 to $80).

I am ok with spending a little bit more if the extra cost is worth it.

Note: I'm using e-thirteen TRS 9-46 cogs. I have a Shimano m9020 crankset with a 32t chainring using a KMC ultralight chain.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,852 Posts
I would choose based on the I-spec standard that works best for you and your other stuff (brakes, dropper post lever, etc.)

·
since 4/10/2009
34,373 Posts
M9100 is 12 speed. The shifter has a switch on it for 11spd, but the cassette that was supposed to work with had the same spacing as the 12spd stuff, and its production got cancelled months ago. It will not work with older 11spd parts.

So unless you have hubs that can accept a micro spline freehub body (dt swiss or industry nine have backwards-compatible micro spline fhb's right now), scrap m9100 because if you don't, it means a new wheelset, too. IMO, it isn't worth mixing m9100 shifter/rd with someone else's cassette and chain since the major benefits of m9100 come from the cassette and chain. it'll work, but not as well. go all or nothing, unless you want to gamble that your hubs will have a micro spline freehub body available soon so you can run the whole package without a wheel change. depending on what wheels you have, that's a pretty big gamble.

I also have 2 bikes in my garage (1 mine and 1 my wife's) set up with Option 2, with Sunrace 11-46 cassettes. Both of those work pretty well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up! The good ole LBS said that the m9000 and m9100 series were cross-compatible.

I guess it looks like option number 1 or 2 for me, then.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have had #1 and 2.
After breaking a XTR RD....I put on a XT
I like the feel of the XTR shifter....and I feel no difference with different RDs.
I also don't mind a $60 RD banging off rocks and sticks vs a $260 unit.

I now have a bike with 12s XTR and one with Etap XX1....I bet I'm going to cry if I crunch that $700 RD

I should probably post up real world side by side review....which will probably make a lot of people unhappy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 9100 stuff doesn't work with standard 11 speed, it is the new 12 speed spacing with one less shift.
I have the M9100 shifter set to 11-speed with M9000 RD and 11 speed 11-40T cassette - it has been working flawlessly since I installed it 3 months ago. Shifting is perfect, as was expected.

(just replying here in case someone else stumbles upon this thread)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.