Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a search and could not find a reliable answer. sorry if this has been answered.

will a shimano xt m771 10 speed cassette work with sram xx 10 speed shifters or do i NEED to use a sram 10 speed cassette?

logic tells me that it should be able to use the shimano but i was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer.

thx.

phat

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
If SRAM hasn't used the same spacing they'd have cut themselves out of sales to Shimano shifter users wanting different cassettes, and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I believe that the cassette spread (individual cog teeth count) is slightly different as well, and may be a factor for some riders. At least this seems true for 11-36T cassettes.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
11-36 cassettes were a limited advantage for SRAM of one model year, but even then IRD offered one quickly enough. Shimano for 2011 has 11-32, 11-34, and 11-36 ten speed cassettes to add to all their road models (which includes the 11-28 DuraAce one). The only size missing from their lineup is an 11-30 and I bet they'd do one of those if a manufacturer demanded it, probably as part of the Deore LX trekking group.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts