Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimanio SPD Recommendation?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ungod 
#1 ·
Just picked up my first cyclocross bike (Ti-Mudhoney S) and want to use the same SPD cleats (SM-SH51) and Shimano shoes that I use on my Ibis MTN bike. Trying to keep it simple right now and need a Shimano Pedal recommendation for my new bike? Thanks!

#3 ·
unlike digidelia I like tight tight tight cleats that just won't pop out until i tell them to...for CX I come off when i want to and not before...trying the unpossible climbs in CX and busting out unexpectedly is murder

I would move my used pedals off the mtb and toss on the CX, as slightly worn spuds actually hold better. then get new ones for the mtb. if going new go light that means shimano's best mtb pedal available

shimano m970 on CX rule, you may need to perfect the 'mud-slap' to clear out the cleat after running but these are pretty good at stepping into clogged.

#5 ·
I run the M-780's (newest XT model). The new XTR's are more carved out, have a bigger contact area, etc, but so far I've had two sets of them break on me. While waiting for the second warranty to be processed, I just bought the XT's and they have been on there since. I have the XTR's on my XC bike...they're holding up better than before...but for how long??

#10 ·
I run the M-780's (newest XT model). The new XTR's are more carved out, have a bigger contact area, etc, but so far I've had two sets of them break on me.
I was an early adopter of the M-980 XTR pedals and while I liked them for cross when it was dry, but after wet/muddy days racing masters at the USGP in Maddison and Fort Collins where I had issues with lots of mud/muck buildup in the spaced in the pedal body so I opted to put the M-970s back on the cross bikes and the 980's went on the 29er SS.

#9 ·
XTR 980 if you want the lightest/best at the expense of high cost and non-shimano-like durability. 540's if you want a cheap, reasonable weight pedal that will last longer than you will.

My 980s failed after 2 full seasons of mtb and cross use, not too bad I guess, but a far cry from my 9 year old 540's that feel like new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.