Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Since the shim idea has caught on pretty well, I want to know what everyone is using.
I want to know the year of and what bike it is on?
What shock is on it?
What is your riding weight?
And what dimension shim you are using, especially if you know the thickness of material or at least where did you get the plastic? Like a CD case etc.
PUSHed shock or not might be nice to know too.
Extra comments welcome.

I can tell you I have updated the length of the shim. I no longer use 135mm length. The reason is for the fit. At 135mm in length is has a little gap behind the shim between the air sleeve inner wall. I chose to make it snap in more securely, less chance of it sliding around. I have never had one move on me in 4 years of using these shims, still a little longer shim will stay put a bit more securely.
If you cut the length any amount over 138mm you won't get it to snap in place. Even at 138mm it nearly won't make it, so I have been using a 137.5x19.5x1.2mm shim. The 1.2 thickness has rarely been changed, it just works best. Thicker like 1.5mm or more might not allow you to get the sleeve back on the shock. The 135x20 that I had been telling people to use still should work fine, but 137.5 snaps in place real nicely. 135x20 vs. 137.5 x 19.5 ends up being real close in volume reduction, so close the difference can not be felt.
I use a new box knife blade often, real good light, a metal cutting edge for a guide, and measure as dead on accurately as possible. I have used different Park tools rulers along with tapes and just use one that is the easiest to read and trust. Just to let you know, 1mm in width makes a differance you can feel so measuring and cutting accuracy is key here. I am also interested in non Turner bikes using the shim.

So I will start:

09 DW 5 Spot
RP23 stock with bike
185-188 lbs. riding weight
current shim size is 137.5x19.5x1.2mm
ski base material as the picture shows.

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Attachments

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Just posted in the other thread....

2006 Titus Supermoto
Fox Float R (Santa Cruz closeout deal)
175-180 pounds riding weight
shim size: 135x20mm (not a very straight cut)
cut from quart sized yogurt container, 0.9mm thick.

So far I really like how it has minimized midstroke wallow and reduced harsh bottomout...it ramps up nicely.

It has also given me hope for the stock DHX air laying in a drawer somewhere in my garage.

Thanks DGC.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
shimmyshimmshimm

Had been using it on a
09 deedubspot
rp23
135mm*20mm 1.4mm thick
220 rtr weight
used a plastic emergency eye wash sign procured from the hood river ace hardware

Now I am using the same thing on
deedubsultan
rp23
works killer on both bikes
thanks again for contributing this idea

at least for these bikes, it is without a doubt the best VALUE in suspension hop ups. eat your heart out push ind. !!(nothing against push) :):):)

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
I have really liked the improved end-stroke support that the shim adds. The bike has more ending stroke ramp-up w/o any loss of suspension performance through the first 2/3 of travel.
Hard, flat landings are more cushy now than with the stock RP23.

09 DW 5Spot
135x20x1.2 ski base plastic
165 # rider

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
DW Sultan

Can't recall the exact dimensions, but it figures out at 2/3 the volume you recommended, since the Sultan, being a 29er, is superior to all things 26, and needs less assistance! ;)

200 lbs, RTR.

195 on a really good day, in the summer, after a 4 hour ride!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Sam

norcosam said:
08 spot.
225 lbs.
135x 25.
will try a slightly larger one when i get my forks back
Try to post back what thickness you used if you know this. If you look at Cutthroat's dimensions his are the same as yours.....except for thickness. You are on different bikes and weigh roughly 35 pounds difference, so knowing the thickness would be good info for me to know between the 2 of you.
a shim 135x25x .9mm vs one at 135x25x1.2mm is a HUGE difference. Please and thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
09 5 spot.
Weight: 210
Air pressure on stock RP 23: 175-180 psi.

Was going to end of travel easily on local trails.

Made the shim out of a cd box.

135mmx23mmx0.9. Could run up to 160 psi and could not get enough travel out of it. Was testing it fot the first time on the trails in lake Garda so i expected to get more travel on these demanding trails. Got the shim out and could still not get the full travel out of the bike. Tried the bike back home without shim and can still not get all travel out of it on my local trails with the 180 psi setting. The sag is about 15 mm.

Could there be something wrong with the shock?
I opened once the hole body before get the air sleeve off.

I haven't rode the bike for 3 weeks now because i went to D-DAY in Normandy with my bigger bike with engine and loud pipes.

I will go on and test the system again on my local trails and let you know my experiences. I think i made the mistake on testing it on different trails. Best feedback is on the local trails.

Great idea of the shim anyway DGC.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
07 RFX
RP23 Pushed
185lbs. riding weight
current shim size is 135x20x0.75mm
and 120 x 20 x 0.75mm sandwiched together.
Took two layers to make this, I used the plastic from a windhield washer bottle. I thounght the .75mm was too thin. First ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
post results

S-Works said:
07 RFX
RP23 Pushed
185lbs. riding weight
current shim size is 135x20x0.75mm
and 120 x 20 x 0.75mm sandwiched together.
Took two layers to make this, I used the plastic from a windhield washer bottle. I thounght the .75mm was too thing. First ride tomorrow.
Post how it rides, I would like to know how this goes.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sag

staz said:
09 DW Sultan
230 lbs rider weight.
Made from a plastic HP sign from LOWES, $4.00.
Same dimensions as your first.
Running 5psi less with a nice low end ramp!
Thanx for the tip.
Is everyone sticking to the same sag as before you installed the shim? Has anyone else dropped the air pressure? I have been ignoring the pump guage and going off of sag first followed by feel. 14-15mm sag.

Attachments

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
DGC said:
Post how it rides, I would like to know how this goes.
It went very well.

My issue before was the shock seemed to blow thru the travel, and that's with the sag set properly. It was also quick to bottom out on some techy descents.

This morning, with the shims, the stroke thru the travel seemed much more controlled and active. The compression seemed to better match the damping than before. I railed some fast ST descending, much faster than I usually do. The rear wheel seemed to stick to the ground and track it much better.

The techy descending was also improved. It just felt much more controlled and I was not bottoming the shock on sections where I was before. But checking the O-ring after the ride, I used 95% of my available travel. All this with 5lbs lower pressure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts