Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shiggy (and all, of course),

I have a different kind of request. I just bought another frame that i'm hopefully picking up next week sometime. I know i'm gonna be riding in the snow because there's NO way I can wait to ride it. Below is a list of tires I have - please pick the two best tires for my needs. I'll be too broke to buy any more tires this year. :D

Continental Explorer Pro, 26 x 2.1, folding (x2)
Continental Twister Pro, 26 x 1.9, folding (x1)
Hutchinson Mosquito Air Light, 26 x 2.0 folding (x2)
Hutchinson Python Air Light, 26 x 2.0 folding (x2)
Michelin Wildgripper Comp S Light, 26 x 2.0, folding (x2)
Nokian NBX Lite 2.2, 26 x 2.2 folding (x1)
Panaracer Fire XC Pro, 26 x 2.1, 127 tpi, folding (x2)
Panaracer Cinder, 26 x 2.25, folding (x1)
Schwalbe Little Albert Light, LST, front, 26 x 2.1, folding (x1)
Schwalbe Jimmy Light, LST, 26 x 2.1, folding (x1)
IRC Mythos XC, folding (x2)

As always - PATIA!

·
Registered
14 Posts
AndrewTO said:
DOH! Okay, I at least learned something. Thanks Shiggy! Muchly appreciated.
Before the recent snow storm here in Ottawa, I tried the little Albert light 2.1 and it performed quite well on relatively packed snow and frozen mud but I would't try it on ice though.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
The Explorers might not be too bad either, but almost all the tires you list are best on Hardpack, not loose dirt, never mind snow.

Any larger (2.3+) tire with decent sized knobs can work well in snow, softer compound helps on the odd ice patch. I've heard mud tires can work pretty well (spiky knobs and some have soft coumpound).

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, guys! I think with this one i'm just going to have to "play it by ear" and see what happens. My first picks would be the Explorer's (sorry, you had to know it was coming, right?) and the Cinder. The Cinder just seemed to eat anything. Seeing as how i've never had any snow riding experience, and it will be limited, i'll just have "fun" with my few rides.... wiping out all over the place and pushing the bike around. :p :D

Maybe I should just put a ski up front. :eek:

:confused: Hmmmmm.

Thanks!

·
Make some music
740 Posts
studs

At least forget about the Python's... If you look at the manufacturers recommended application you can probably eliminate a few others as well.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stratocaster said:
At least forget about the Python's... If you look at the manufacturers recommended application you can probably eliminate a few others as well.

Good Luck.
HAHAHA! You mean a Michelin Comp S Light up front with a Twister in the rear wouldn't be good? :p :D

The only reason all those tires is in there is because I simply did a copy/paste from my weight page. ;) Yes, i'm lazy.... sometimes.

·
Make some music
740 Posts
Lol

AndrewTO said:
HAHAHA! You mean a Michelin Comp S Light up front with a Twister in the rear wouldn't be good? :p :D

The only reason all those tires is in there is because I simply did a copy/paste from my weight page. ;) Yes, i'm lazy.... sometimes.

There you go.... LOL ...

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Shiggy (and all, of course),

I have a different kind of request. I just bought another frame that i'm hopefully picking up next week sometime. I know i'm gonna be riding in the snow because there's NO way I can wait to ride it. Below is a list of tires I have - please pick the two best tires for my needs. I'll be too broke to buy any more tires this year. :D

Continental Explorer Pro, 26 x 2.1, folding (x2)
Continental Twister Pro, 26 x 1.9, folding (x1)
Hutchinson Mosquito Air Light, 26 x 2.0 folding (x2)
Hutchinson Python Air Light, 26 x 2.0 folding (x2)
Michelin Wildgripper Comp S Light, 26 x 2.0, folding (x2)
Nokian NBX Lite 2.2, 26 x 2.2 folding (x1)
Panaracer Fire XC Pro, 26 x 2.1, 127 tpi, folding (x2)
Panaracer Cinder, 26 x 2.25, folding (x1)
Schwalbe Little Albert Light, LST, front, 26 x 2.1, folding (x1)
Schwalbe Jimmy Light, LST, 26 x 2.1, folding (x1)
IRC Mythos XC, folding (x2)

As always - PATIA!
Im partial to Kenda's which aren't on the list. The Kinetics work fairly well in snow although a Blue Groove/Nev combo might be better. Something to consider.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
namaSSte said:
Im partial to Kenda's which aren't on the list. The Kinetics work fairly well in snow although a Blue Groove/Nev combo might be better. Something to consider.
I like my Nev 2.5 on the front on snow, has "spikier" tread than BG, which is more hardpack-oriented. The Nev is ok on the rear too, but you get the ramped-tread issue (grip in only one direction).

Kinetics 2.35 stickee would probably work well on the rear.

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
What pressure?

Tire pressure seems to be very personal matter, but is there a general recommendation when riding on icy trails and packed snow?
ZT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts