Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume heat them up a bit with a hair dryer. My thought is leave the wheels out in the cold, heat the plastic strips up a bit?

Any other tips?

How "clean" do you think I need to get those rims on the inside? A bit of leftover tape residue going to be OK? Or do they fit that tight?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Installing the Bonty TR rim strips in the Bonty Rhythm rims was very easy. I just used the valve to locate the hole in the strip with the hole in the rim then slipped the strip in place working in each direction from the valve at once. Snapped right into place. All at room temp. I see no reason to clean off the tape gunk. I do not recommend using the Bonty TR strips on anything other than the Bonty TR rim it was designed to work with.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Green Giant said:
I assume heat them up a bit with a hair dryer. My thought is leave the wheels out in the cold, heat the plastic strips up a bit?

Any other tips?

How "clean" do you think I need to get those rims on the inside? A bit of leftover tape residue going to be OK? Or do they fit that tight?
I just left them out in the sun for 15 minutes and slipped them on. They went on very easily so like Shiggy said i think they will just go on at room temps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shiggy's got it. Be sure to pay attention to the assymetric strip lines up with the assymetric tirewell or putting the tire could be less than easy.

Lastly, be sure to install the tire opposite of what you would with a tube (start with the bead opposite the valve) and that the bead is in the center of tirewell. Do that and you should be able to put it on by hand.

BBC

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Super_Tool said:
Shiggy's got it. Be sure to pay attention to the assymetric strip lines up with the assymetric tirewell or putting the tire could be less than easy.

BBC
S_T,

Are the Rhythm rim strips symmetrical (the rims are OSB) or did I overlook the asymmetry and get lucky when I mounted them?

BTW I find the Rhythms to be easier to mount tubeless (and TR) tire on than the Mavic XM819s.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Rhythm is wide enough (28mm OD) that the tirewell could be designed symmetric. This gives a better platform to support the tire bead when running at the lower pressures that trail riders run at (<35psi) and prevents burping. The Cross Country line (RXL-Select) are all 24mm rims and the narrow width requires an assymetric tirewell.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.