Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up a mimo 2.0 for 7$ and was reading the reviews, which were all pretty decent, then i came across something you wrote which sounded something like "you couldnt pay me to ride that tire again" lol

im dying to see what it can handle, granted its a dry conditions tire, so ill run it when its dry. plus its pretty light (480g i believe) so how bad could it be...?

on a side note: ill ONLY be running it as a rear. ive currently already found my perfect front tire :)

tell me why it was so bad...

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
When the Mimo was first released it was said to be a wet conditions tire and I used it as such on the front.

Rode it on the trails I ride at least once a week in winter. In a straight line and upright it was fine. When I leaned it at all and it washed out completely. I had 4-5 crashes and twice as many near misses in 3-4 miles. Had to stop leaning the bike to corner and turn the bars while hanging my body off the inside to stay upright.

The tires I used before and after the Mimo exhibited none of these quirks (to be kind).

My tire was also a 2.0 with a claimed weight of 480g. Came in closer to 600g.

It has been discontinued.

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Visual Inspection

shiggy said:
I had 4-5 crashes and twice as many near misses in 3-4 miles. Had to stop leaning the bike to corner and turn the bars while hanging my body off the inside to stay upright.
4-5 crashes, man you cleary gave these more effort than they deserved.

When you mounted the tires did you have an idea what they might be good at and what might be there shortcomings?

Did you try them at extreme pressures hi -lo?

You have enough tire experience to fill a book - Are tires that mysterious?
I'll take and 50 lashings for that last comment.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Crash_Burn said:
4-5 crashes, man you cleary gave these more effort than they deserved.

When you mounted the tires did you have an idea what they might be good at and what might be there shortcomings?

Did you try them at extreme pressures hi -lo?

You have enough tire experience to fill a book - Are tires that mysterious?
I'll take and 50 lashings for that last comment.
Once you are out on the trail you keep riding. I did not have other tires in the car.

I thought the Mimo would do OK in the conditions.

I did drop the pressure a bit during the ride. Did not try higher (I hate getting out the pump in the muck).

MTB tire design is still more art than science.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Jersey said:
shiggy how would feel about this tire for slight sloppy stuff, but mostly hardpack ONLY running it as a rear?
Personally, I will not touch the Mimo again. YMMV You have it, try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts