Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So bear with me on this post, I know it's not quite mountain bike related, but it's related to mountain biking gear. Picked up an old 2001 BikeE the other week. It came with the old GripShift 3.0 shifters and SRAM ESP rear derailleur. The shifters are 20 years old, no life left in them, and SRAM doesn't make the parts for them anymore. Same story with the RD. So I put some modern 3X7 GripShift shifters on the bike due to a cramped cockpit along with a Shimano Altus RD. Now it refuses to shift. The only thing I didn't change was the housing, the 7 speed cassette, and the chain. The bike has low miles so I didn't think it would be an issue. Is there such a thing as a bike that really needs SRAM RD in order to shift right? I've been wrenching on bikes for years and even worked at a bike shop when I was younger and this one has me stumped.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah those are the wrong shifters for that derailleur.
No they are not. According to SRAM's website and the instructions that came with the GripShifts they are using a 2:1 pull ratio and are to be used with Shimano RD.

Look here. It clearly says 1:2 pull ratio, NOT 1:1.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
No they are not. According to SRAM's website and the instructions that came with the GripShifts they are using a 2:1 pull ratio and are to be used with Shimano RD.

Look here. It clearly says 1:2 pull ratio, NOT 1:1.

Sorry, missed the part where you said you installed an altus derailleur so you're right that the parts are compatible.

Saying "it refuses to shift" is a pretty broad statement so it's tough to diagnose based on that. With the given info I suppose I'd suggest changing the housing but that's a complete guess since we don't know the symptoms.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry if this is dumb but I have no idea how knowledgeable you are on working on a bike... but did you make sure the shifter was shifted all of the way down before you hooked up the derailleur cable?
Not dumb at all. I've been wrenching on bikes for 30 years now, even worked at my local LBS about 10 years or so ago. I have most of all of the tools the LBS has except a truing stand. I do all of my own work usually. Yeah I made sure it was shifted all the way down. But it has a had time going from the 7th cog to the 6th let alone more. Even using the barrel adjusters it will shift, then it ghost shifts. The bike is a recumbent so the housing is extra long and to make matters worse it goes through the frame. I would want to replace it but I might have to. I've adjusted the B tension screw but I'm thinking this bike requires a SRAM RD just because of how they sit a little further back from the hangar than Shimano RD.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you disconnect the cable from the RD, does the shifter rotate/shift in both directions freely, pulling the cable and allowing slack, respectively?
Yeah the shifter operates correctly, pulling the cables just fine.

Maybe the housing is damaged somewhere. I would try fresh housing.
Easier said then done. This is a recumbent where the housing goes inside the frame. To get to it, the bike has to be partly taken apart. But I think that's my next step. The housing does got through a few 90 degree bends before it gets back the the RD. Funny thing is that it shifted fine with the old parts even though they were wore out.

End up with new cable and housing and solve it by replace new hanger.

I did hanger alignment but didnt solve it.

Try adjust barrel by riding the bike instead of on a bike stand.
Well this bike doesn't have a hangar. It's old school, the frame itself just has a threaded hole for the RD. And it's far too heavy and weird of a shape to put in my bike stand.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Easier said then done. This is a recumbent where the housing goes inside the frame. To get to it, the bike has to be partly taken apart. But I think that's my next step. The housing does got through a few 90 degree bends before it gets back the the RD. Funny thing is that it shifted fine with the old parts even though they were wore out.
The internal routing tools are pretty darn effective. I have done some pretty tricky bikes really easily with them. Worth picking up for any home or shop mechanic.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
BikeE's had that massive beam frame, IIRC. So just get rivnut tool, some m5 or m4 rivnuts and convert it to normal routing. Cheaper than faffing about with internal routing.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem solved for now. I installed a new cable but this time I coated it in grease. Also put the original SRAM 3.0 shifters and RD. Had to clean them up a bit and apply lube where it was needed but now it shifts like a dream. Never knew bike manufactures build a whole bike around just one drivetrain. This bike hates Shimano but rolls just fine with old school SRAM ESP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.