Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my drivetrain is not shifting correctly. It is a little sluggish on up and down shifts but nothing crazy. The problem I am having is that shifting up (aka going from the biggest gear 42t on my Sunrace cassette) it skips the next gear and jumps down two. The derailleur is lined up with that gear (8th out of ten). Shifting down it goes to that gear (9th) fine. Any suggestions? The drivetrain was transplanted off my broken Niner and I am trying to set it up on my Big Wig. It is a 2 month old SRAM X9 shifter with new cable, an older but not much used SRAM derailleur and a Sunrace 11-42 cassette. 1x. It was shifting super slowly but once I adjusted the cable to get rid of that it started skipping 9th. It looks like the derailleur lines up fine with the cassette.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Replace your cable (housing and inner) adjust cable tension properly so it shifts right, not for speed, you're welcome.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked the derailleur hanger with an alignment tool for straightness?
The hanger better be straight. It is brand new. I don't have an alignment tool.

Replace your cable (housing and inner) adjust cable tension properly so it shifts right, not for speed, you're welcome.
The cable and housing are brand new.

I talked to the LBS. They said to adjust the tension a little bit and also adjust the b screw.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's where I'd start. However the B-screw does not do a lot close to the high and low ends. It may prevent shifting to the biggest cog, but usually not to skip the second biggest.
Ok thanks. I will mess with cable tension some more. Then look at the B-screw. Would I be looking to adjust it out or in?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well, you're in for a big shock when you learn that you shouldn't trust a hanger is straight just because it's new, always check to make sure they're straight ;)

If the cable housing and inner wire are new, then could be tension, but would have figured you'd have messed and adjusted it a fair bit in either direction to rule that out before coming here asking for advice.

The hanger better be straight. It is brand new. I don't have an alignment tool.

The cable and housing are brand new. I talked to the LBS. They said to adjust the tension a little bit and also adjust the b screw.

·
Registered
17,219 Posts
I agree about checking the hanger but sluggish shifting in general indicates a cable restriction, new cable and housing or not. Shifting should be fast and crisp in both directions.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ +1. Friction or routing issue somewhere in the system is almost always it. Check that the RD parallelogram moves in and out freely by removing the rear wheel, shifting to the highest gear and then pushing on the parallelogram with your thumb. Disconnect the cable at the RD, pull gently on it and run the shifter through all the gears. The cable end should move freely.

Last time I had a similar issue it turned out I had a broken cable pulley at the back end of a SRAM 11 speed derailleur.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.