Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek Marlin 6 3x8 and have developed shifting issues. I have 500 miles on this bike and hopefully these issues can be fixed or should I be thinking of a new system?

1. When I pedal 2 - 3 cycles, it's like the chain slips real quick and then 2-3 more cycles same thing and so on? I have shifted gears both front and back and at first it seemed to help and now it seems to be happening even when shifting gears.

2. When shifting to the middle front sprocket at times, it locks up and I have to back pedal as though it was back feeding? Does not happen all of the time and sometimes more than others.

Any help with these issues would be appreciated.
Thank you,
John :madman:

·
Registered
17,261 Posts
Probably just normal break in stuff. Cables often "stretch" a bit when new and a turn or so (counterclockwise) of the barrel adjusters on your shift levers is probably all you need to do. Check out the tutorials on the Park tool website to familiarize yourself with gear adjustments.

·
Registered
766 Posts
That sounds like a stiff or twisted link in your chain. Shift the bike in to the small/small gears and backpedal. Watch the chain as it goes around the cog and through the pulleys. A stiff link will show itself there. Also, inspect the inner plates of the chain to make sure one of them is not twisted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I checked the chain and all looked good. I checked out the Park tool videos and made some adjustments. Appeared good around the driveway, but we are in a heat wave like most of the country, so a good test ride will have to wait until the morning. Thank you to both of you for helping me out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.