Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with shifting rear gears, when I try to shift it takes the chain a few seconds ( or longer ) to move. Sometimes it jumps several gears at once. I am totally f**king clueless about this sort of stuff, does anyone have any bright ideas as to why this is happening? Feel free to pour derision and abuse on my lack of tech skills, but please only do so if you also have some usefull advice. Pure abuse I can get from my friends at home. ;-)

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
roland w. said:
I am having issues with shifting rear gears, when I try to shift it takes the chain a few seconds ( or longer ) to move. Sometimes it jumps several gears at once. I am totally f**king clueless about this sort of stuff, does anyone have any bright ideas as to why this is happening? Feel free to pour derision and abuse on my lack of tech skills, but please only do so if you also have some usefull advice. Pure abuse I can get from my friends at home. ;-)
Have you tried you LBS?

How old is the bike? How old are the cables, housing, shifters and derailers?

Rich

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike was bought about 2 months ago and I have ridden it for about 1.5 hours every day since then. I was kinda hoping to be able to adjust it myself, getting it to the shop is a pain in the ass.

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
The park tool is a good site to get step by step instructions to do things ("www.parktools.com" I believe). It sounds like your cables may need some adjusting. On your rear derailer cable there should be an adjustment barrel. If you tighten that barrel it will tighten the cable and speed up the derailer moving up the cassette (making it easier to pedal). If the problem is going the other way then you may have problems with your cable and housing. It's amazing what a bit of dirt in the housing can do to your shifting performance.

You might also want to look at picking up the book, Zen and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. That book has helped me many times. It should be available at most LBS's and book stores.

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.