Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Veni Vidi Vici
995 Posts
what about X9? i think it will be worth the extra budget... it really looks the same with the xo, function and looks:yesnod:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
barelylegal said:
what about X9? i think it will be worth the extra budget... it really looks the same with the xo, function and looks:yesnod:
I run medium cages and like shifters with indicators. I don't think X9 shifters have indicators and are too expensive. I seem to destroy rear D's regularly so I don't want anything too expensive. All get them if people say X7 shifters are just that bad though....

I don't know the difference between X9 and X7 read D's in performance. I am not too fussy about exact performance with the riding I do. I've still on Deore shifters and XT !~!

I have the 05 X7 shifters and D on my hardtail and think it operates on par with the XT.
I would assume 07 would bring some upgrades to this model ?~?

·
Registered
999 Posts
You can get a good deal on 2006 X9 shifters and RDs. The 2006 have the indicators. I would spend a little more to get the X9. The 07 X9 shifters do not have the indicators. I like having the indicators as well. I tried the XO shifters which do not have the indicators and found that I was looking down at the drivetrain to see the gear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cheap Shifters

Hey All Mountain !
I know you are in Aussie somewhere so have a look at www.torpedo.7.com (might have a .au after it )-- anyway get cheap as parts - they have X9 07 triggers + rear mech for 249 NZ ( I guess about 200 aussie )- just stuck some on my hardtail - works great - but I agree it takes a while to get used to not having indicators + could bling them up with some matchmakers to tidy up your HBar .

Ive almost got my motolite
its in the boot of Dodge Cougar Eliminator , on the wharf in a container will take possession tomorrow !!!!

·
Veni Vidi Vici
995 Posts
if you want an indicator for your shifter, then x7 is the way to go. Because there will be instances while using an x9 or x0 (with the absence of the indicator) that you will have to look in your cogs where it is shifted. I think X 7 will be alright:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great, all check out Torpedo.. heard of it but never bothered to look at it.

So is this a new car and bike package ?~?

mw04snow said:
Hey All Mountain !
I know you are in Aussie somewhere so have a look at www.torpedo.7.com (might have a .au after it )-- anyway get cheap as parts - they have X9 07 triggers + rear mech for 249 NZ ( I guess about 200 aussie )- just stuck some on my hardtail - works great - but I agree it takes a while to get used to not having indicators + could bling them up with some matchmakers to tidy up your HBar .

Ive almost got my motolite
its in the boot of Dodge Cougar Eliminator , on the wharf in a container will take possession tomorrow !!!!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Get 07 X7 shifters, deraillers as they are pretty much the same as 06 X9.......or get some clearout X9 shifters and deraillers............or 05/06 shimano lx/xtshifter pod with XT rear derailler.

pick your poison........I know there are some devout sram and shimano followers here but you seem to have had no issues with them so just a matter of picking your preference.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
TiEndo said:
Get 07 X7 shifters, deraillers as they are pretty much the same as 06 X9.......or get some clearout X9 shifters and deraillers............or 05/06 shimano lx/xtshifter pod with XT rear derailler.

pick your poison........I know there are some devout sram and shimano followers here but you seem to have had no issues with them so just a matter of picking your preference.
Yep.. just pick the one you can find a better deal on... here in germany the 07 XT shifters are actually cheaper than the 06 and 05 ones and about the same as x9.... so as TiEndo says "Pick your poison!"

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
So what did you decide???? SRAM or Shimano......X7 vs X9?????

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like 07 X7 is reasonable along with 06 X9.

The 07 X9 shifters have the zero loss... does this translate into a real benefit for a rider who likes DH, rough stuff, and no racing/events ?~? Yeah... I'm hung up on shifter window... go figure... not sure why I fret about it... I haven't use a bike computer for 2 years....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've got '06 X7 components on my bike and they seem great (definitely better than Alivio that's for sure). I don't reckon you can go wrong with Sram X7 stuff - and I've heard (don't know if it's true) that X9 has plastic as part of the RD which probably isn't great if you tend to break yours!

I can recommend Torpedo 7 as I have used them in the past. Also check out www.speedgoat.com it's in the US but they have good prices some times and ship by USPS.
Email Allen at www.dropnzone.com for some prices as well if it's not listed on the website, maybe you can get a package deal out of him.

For local price comparisons be sure to check:
www.fortheriders.com
www.phantomcycles.com.au
both are great Aussie online stores (and real stores as well).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
All Mountain said:
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like 07 X7 is reasonable along with 06 X9.

The 07 X9 shifters have the zero loss... does this translate into a real benefit for a rider who likes DH, rough stuff, and no racing/events ?~? Yeah... I'm hung up on shifter window... go figure... not sure why I fret about it... I haven't use a bike computer for 2 years....
Not sure about the shifters, but I watched this video online once it filmed a shimano RD and a Sram RD on a bike doing a run on a DH? track, same bike both times and the Sram derailleur hardly bounced around compared to the shimano.

Aha found the link - hope this works:

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=24456&highlight=sram+VS+shimano+video

·
Registered
631 Posts
Wow!

That's really something. I'm not sure if that motion impacts shifting or not but now I can see why the XTR rear der made so much noise on the chain-stay/seat-stay pivot of my ML. My ML bike came with a SRAM X9, but I had a XTR on it for a while, then put the X9 back on. Now the XTR is back on my Epic, the X9 is going on an old Spec. S-Works Steel I'm rebuilding and I've put X0 rear der. and shifters on the ML.

craigstr pointed out a combo deal for the X9 shifters and rear der. at BlueSky Cycling. That's where my wife got the X0 rear der. and shifter combo. Nice pricing. Not eBay nice, but nice nonetheless. Plus if it's not what you like, you can return it to BlueSky, probably couldn't through eBay...

later,
simp

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Only thing is that I've heard of more breakages of sram derailleurs with the DH crowd. I guess that may have something to do with it not bouncing around as much - has more of a tendency to snap. (or perhaps it was higher end ones with more plastic & stuff in them??).
There is always a trade off somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
energetix said:
Only thing is that I've heard of more breakages of sram derailleurs with the DH crowd. I guess that may have something to do with it not bouncing around as much - has more of a tendency to snap. (or perhaps it was higher end ones with more plastic & stuff in them??).
There is always a trade off somewhere.
Exactly.. the Sram RD doesn't pivot at the attachment point (der. hanger) that's why it makes less noise, but also has less freedom of movement in case something gets stuck on it (like a branch)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts