Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting a new bike :) Comes with an XO SRAM set-up. On riding a demo, I found I wasn't fond of the thumb/thumb set up for shifting. Preferred XTR rapid fire shifting. I was thinking that for endurance rides and races you'd shift with 4 digits not 2 and be less likely to have overuse/tendonitis etc. with XTR. (I did get "tennis elbow" 1 yr from shifting I believe). Also I didn't like the feel of pushing the shifter away to get into an easier gear. By LBS will shift over to an XTR setup for me (same $ and approx. weight). Am I making the right decision in going with what I'm comfortable with (XTR)? Do others think that's a mistake and I should just get used to XO? Another option would be a single speed but, I love gears...
Thanks- Mike

·
Registered
883 Posts
Paper or plastic, green or red salsa......you will get numerous answers and much is simply personal preference. I am a SRAM fan as I just think it shifts cleaner over the long haul and has been less affected by mud and other trail maladies. I have used XT and XTR as well and I just don't think it works as well. The thumb shifters on XO don't bother me over the course of a solo 24.....my 2 cents....:cornut:

I have a new carbon stumpy 29er on order with SRAM XX so we will see if that works as well as the XO....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
crossintopos said:
So, I'm getting a new bike :) Comes with an XO SRAM set-up. On riding a demo, I found I wasn't fond of the thumb/thumb set up for shifting. Preferred XTR rapid fire shifting. I was thinking that for endurance rides and races you'd shift with 4 digits not 2 and be less likely to have overuse/tendonitis etc. with XTR. (I did get "tennis elbow" 1 yr from shifting I believe). Also I didn't like the feel of pushing the shifter away to get into an easier gear. By LBS will shift over to an XTR setup for me (same $ and approx. weight). Am I making the right decision in going with what I'm comfortable with (XTR)? Do others think that's a mistake and I should just get used to XO? Another option would be a single speed but, I love gears...
Thanks- Mike
I prefer XTR over XO.

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
I took off my XO and put on XTR. I like the two way shifting and I had trouble with my XO's double shifting when I didn't want them to, especially from the big ring down to the granny gear.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I made the same call you did as I don't like the SRAM thumb only setup. I got a SuperFly 100 non-elite, and for $50 more the LBS swapped the X-9 shifters for XTR. Win....Win.

Also swapped the rear X-9 rear der to an XT. The shifts are SUPER quick and I love the XTR double drop feature.

-Tom

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Almost the same here. I prefer the Shimano shifters over SRAM (and holy smokes, is it ever easier to change cables), but I went with XT because I like the gear indicators, especially at the 80 mile mark of a race. I'm too tired by then to look back between my legs to see what gear I'm in without riding off the trail!

·
Your Best Friend
5,648 Posts
I never realized how much I use the gear indicators on my XO grip shift until I was using my XX and went to see what gear I was in...

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
theextremist04 said:
I like X0 twisties the best.
+1. Where else can you dump all gears in one second... both ways?

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Either

I was an XTR only guy for years, and ended up with an XX bike last fall. I was planning on selling the XX group and getting XTR. After a few rides, I came to really like it and realized that it wasn't worth the P.I.T.A. to sell a perfectly good setup. I built up another bike this winter with my old XTR. Getting back on it, I liked it as well!

My point is that after you get used to the SRAM you will like it just fine, as it really is a good setup. If you are comfortable with XTR and it doesn't cost any more...get what you know. They have their differences...but I think they even out in the wash.

·
Registered
512 Posts
2011 XO has been very clunky and with a heavy feel versus my previous XT and XTR mix. Performance is also a few levels below the SHIMANO..... I was "stuck"with XO on the new rig.... Once its tired - I'm returning to SHIMANO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got overuse injury on SRAM triggers (XO). it was a much 'heavier' shift than XTR, and a longer throw.

I have XTR on one bike - love it.
I have SRAM XO twisties on my 24 hour bike - I would prefer XTR, but find the trim feature on the Front Der really useful when riding 24 solo given what you put your bike through. These also seem to get heavy in the shift and need more looking after than my XTR.

At the end of the day though - it comes down to what YOU like.

·
no excuses
113 Posts
its a preference thing really. after riding bikes with both shimano and sram, I like the sram better. shifts when I want it to where the shimano has a delay I don't like. again, its what you like, one is not 'better' than the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts