Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be swapping my '08 X-7 shift pods for '08 X-9 shift pods. Would it be easier to undo the cable at the shifter side, or at the derailleur side? No issues with my cables right now, so my initial thought is to under the cable at the shifter side, that way the derailleurs I'm thinking wouldn't need to be readjusted.

What's the best approach?

thnx!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
at the derailer.........

Getting cables into shifters is way harder on an x9. Getting a clean cut cable through the housing isn't hard. Please note I said "Clean Cut". A frayed cable will be a nightmare.

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
cable removal

You'll need to remove the cables from the derailleurs, if you're lucky they won't be frayed and you can reuse them. I don't, cables (not with housings) are too cheap, besides, your new X.9 should have come with a new cable in it, if not it's very inexpensive to replace. I don't believe you'll notice much difference between a new 08 X.7 and a 08 X.9 though.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies!

as for much difference between X-7 and X-9, even if there isn't a huge difference, the useless (to me) indicators on the X-7 bother me, and the X9 will look better on the bike... i got them for decent price so it's not a big deal, and i'll see the X-7 shifters...

cheers

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Now, I may not be up on my SRAM stuff, but how in the heck would you not take the cable out of the shifter if you want to keep the cable and use it in the new shifter? Are SRAM shifters slotted for cable removal like brake levers? In any case if the cable is frayed at the derailleur end it can be hard to thread thru the housing again and cutting the frayed part may make it too short....

·
Registered
15 Posts
The X.9's do come preloaded with the cable as stated above so may as well just use it. I'll be ordering the X.9's soon for my bike build and I agree...the indicators on the X.7's are just unnecessary. Besides with the Sram setup, adjustment at the derailleur is pretty basic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.