Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a Relic 24 with a Shimano Revoshift grip shifter. He hates the shifter. He wants to switch the shifter out for a trigger shifter.

Is it permissible to remove the shift cable from the revoshift, install the shift cable into the trigger shifter and then adjust the derailleur as needed?
Or, is it better to fully remove the existing cable, run the new cable through the housings into the derailleur and then adjust?

I’d prefer not to cut new housing, but is what it is.
Thanks.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,809 Posts
If it's new you might get away with it. Used - it's best to replace the housing. And use a good pair of decent cable cutters or dremel to get a clean cut, not just side cutters or odds are it'll still shift poorly.

Something like this should help:

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,809 Posts
There is no way to change a shifter without pulling the cable completely out of the housing. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP?
I just re-read now that I've had some coffee. It's confusing wording to be sure. If that's what OP's asking then you're absolutely right. Either way, OP can watch the Park vid and just skip the housing replacement portion. Hopefully the cable end isn't too frayed and is long enough for a trigger shifter.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
I just re-read now that I've had some coffee. It's confusing wording to be sure. If that's what OP's asking then you're absolutely right. Either way, OP can watch the Park vid and just skip the housing replacement portion. Hopefully the cable end isn't too frayed and is long enough for a trigger shifter.
With 10 miles on it, as long as it's long enough, he'll likely be fine with the cable/housing he's got.

I'm not familiar with the Revoshift, but another thing to be careful about is derailleur compatibility.
Does it play well with regular Shimano derailleurs, or does it use some sort of different actuation/pull ratio?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.