Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 or 00 Specialized Rockhopper w/ Deore LX shifters. The right shifter doesn't always switch gears properly. I think something is broke internally so I want to replace both of them, and possibly upgrade. Will any 9-speed trigger shifter work? Are Shimano and SRAM shifters interchangeable?

Anything else I need to look for or consider?

Thanks,

Josh

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
What are your symptoms? (specifically)
If you don't have a 9-speed shifter/cassette already, a 9-speed shifter wont work.
Shimano shifters are not compatible w/ SRAM derailleurs.
SOME SRAM shifters (i.e. the ones w/ names - not 'X's and #'s) are compatible w/ Shimano Mechs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is already 9-speed.

Sometimes when I am trying to shift, the thumb paddle just moves forward with no resistance. What ever the paddle is supposed to be grabbing internally is not catching. Sometimes I can feel it begin to grab, and then it will click and just go forward with no resistance. After multiple attempts, while putting some pressure on the lever from the bottom, pushing it up and forward, it will catch and shift gears.

I am trying to get into shape for an off-road triathlon in June and I will need this resolved before then.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
sounds like you might have some old solidified grease internally gumming up the works.
Try shooting WD-40 :eek: into the shifter pod and let it soak a bit, then try working the mechanism.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,210 Posts
jyellard said:
I have a 99 or 00 Specialized Rockhopper w/ Deore LX shifters. The right shifter doesn't always switch gears properly. I think something is broke internally so I want to replace both of them, and possibly upgrade. Will any 9-speed trigger shifter work? Are Shimano and SRAM shifters interchangeable?

Anything else I need to look for or consider?

Thanks,

Josh
Any shimano 9 speed shifter will work, along with the SRAM Attack shifters (triggers or twisties). If you want, you can just replace the right shifter. I've had the problem you describe with several older shimano shifters. You might try the WD-40 trick mentioned above, but it offered only temporary relief from the problem when I tried it on a shimano shifter doing the same thing you describe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Try fixing them first, but if you want to replace them you'll definitely appreciate the difference in newer shifters if those are from the 99 era. Open up the housing and you should see a jam nut...chances are that it's come loose. Snug it just past finger tight (too tight and it'll bind the mechanism). Seems to be a common problem with those shifters...not sure what causes it but eventually when that nut comes loose it'll keep happening and you just have to keep snugging it.

If the nut isn't loose, then the grease in there may have dried a little and gotten sticky. A couple blasts with TriFlow or WD40 might do the trick.....also a common thing.

If you replace shifters, then any Shimano 9spd will work.....I'd suggest going no lower than LX/STX models. Sram makes very nice shifters, too, and the Attack model is the one that will work with Shimano rear derailleurs (every other Sram model is made for only the Sram derailleurs and their different cable pull ratio).

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Crankenator said:
the Attack model is the one that will work with Shimano rear derailleurs (every other Sram model is made for only the Sram derailleurs and their different cable pull ratio).
also the 'MRX', 'MRXcomp' and 'Centera' and any others that have "NAMES"

·
Registered
199 Posts
highdelll said:
also the 'MRX', 'MRXcomp' and 'Centera' and any others that have "NAMES"
True....I was referring to mountain-biking-worthy shifters, since that's where we're at. Not much point in considering the others for installation or use, imho....especially if you actually shift your drivetrain a lot, as mountain bikers do. :)

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Crankenator said:
True....I was referring to mountain-biking-worthy shifters, since that's where we're at. Not much point in considering the others for installation or use, imho....especially if you actually shift your drivetrain a lot, as mountain bikers do. :)
hmmm,

;) - ~8y.o. MRXcomps

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Crankenator said:
Did you lose focus on the "trigger" part of the OP's question? :)
yeah!
so what you gonna do 'bout it huh!!:cool:

seriously tho, if the OP was thinking about replacing the shifters, why not go to grip-shifts as they are far superior. They; don't beak, are cheap, are light and shift better. You can dump the whole range of the cassette if you want to and micro index the F-Der.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All - Thanks for the help.

Crankenator - I'll take them apart and check the jam nut. Spray w/ WD-40.

I really didn't want to buy new shifters because I'm priming my wife for a new bike this year. Just can't decide between a much lighter higher-end hardtail or full-suspension.

There is no way I want grip shifters. Sorry

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
199 Posts
I run Grip Shift and have on most of my bikes since the X-Ray days. Today's Grip Shift is awesome. On my aggressive bikes I run Saint and Xt trigger, rear only. For xc racing and most riding, it's hard to beat the advantages of Grip Shift. Good stuff, but to each his own.

jyellard, good luck with it....post up again and let us know what you find. And good luck with the priming, too. lol

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,210 Posts
Crankenator said:
I run Grip Shift and have on most of my bikes since the X-Ray days. Today's Grip Shift is awesome. On my aggressive bikes I run Saint and Xt trigger, rear only. For xc racing and most riding, it's hard to beat the advantages of Grip Shift. Good stuff, but to each his own.
I'm all about gripshift as well. Started on triggers 10 years ago, switched to grips, and they last forever and even low end ones shift as well as the best triggers out there, IMO. I went to trigger last fall on a 1x9 build just for something different, and after riding it for the winter, I still find it an inferior system to twisties.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree with the reply about the factory grease turning to wax. My '99 with LX 9 sp did exactly as the op's. Cleaned out the old grease w/WD 40 and it shifted fine. It has since become a SS and my newer bike has X9 Grip Shifters, love em.

·
Registered
39 Posts
WD-40 sucks. It will only work for a little while.

If you can find a can of Kano Kroil (no relation to Kona Bicycles - and spelled differently) use that. The stuff will unstick just about anything in my experience. It's one of the best penetrating lubricants out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I apologize for the late update and I appreciate everyone's advice. I took the shifters apart and sprayed with WD-40. Everything is working great. If it gets bad again I will try the Kroil, there is plenty available in the plant I work at.

Kind of funny... I guess it has been so long since these shifted well that I had forgotten it can rapid shift 1 or 2 gears depending on how far you pull the trigger. I had probably been shifting and not really having a feel for whether I was shifting 1 or 2 gears. It is almost like having a new bike.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.