Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
huffing and puffing
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Deore XT V-Brake levers/3X8 shifters from the 90's. they have worked well for me until the other day. I went to shift into easier gears on the cassette and

ClickClickClickClickClickClick

no shift. So what next, is this the end or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Sounds like the pawl is not catching the teeth. Should be enough lubing the insides with light oil to bring it back to life. Cold weather may turn grease a bit sticky too, so make sure you use a light oil in there.
Hope that´s it !

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Assuming you're not describing a broken or sticking cable, ie. lever clicks but nothing happens at the derailleur end, you might have an internal problem in the lever itself. First check for a cable problem by pulling the wire away from the frame to tension it slightly and take the lever through a few shifts. The cable should move crisply back and forth in your hand, if it does the lever is fine. If you can pull it free the cables broken. But if the cable's OK, yet doesn't move, suspect the lever. Most mechanics consider Shimano levers not to be serviceable, so you'll probably need to replace it.

Before you give up, on the off chance that it's a dirt, hardened grease, or corrosion problem, try to get a few drops of a thin penetrating oil into the lever, and work it around a bit, keeping tension on the wire by pulling it away from the frame where it's bare. You might just break lucky and anyway, have nothing to lose.

·
huffing and puffing
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I took the shifter 'pod' off the lever to see what was happening and it skipped without any tension. I assume the teeth are stripped we'll see thoguh.

where will i get some of that oil?

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,988 Posts
Old stuff will just get to the point where it doesn't work anymore; sometimes it's gradual, others it's sudden.

Time to get some X.9 9-speed, or X.5 if you like the 8-speed.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
hanktref said:
well I took the shifter 'pod' off the lever to see what was happening and it skipped without any tension. I assume the teeth are stripped we'll see thoguh.

where will i get some of that oil?
In the department of last ditch attempts to resurrect the dead, try "liquid wrench" (or anything labelled "penetrating oil"),available from hardware stores. Or try Pro-link gold chain lube, from a bike shop.

Both are thin oils in lots of solvent, so they'll penetrate and loosen any gunk if that's the problem. The odds are against you, but then again folks also buy lottery tickets "hey, you never know"

·
I Fought The Lawn
123 Posts
first, a tip, you should never ever have to disassemble a shifter, from any manufacturer. first use finish line's alcohol based speed degreaser (the yellow one) then use a dry lube after the shifter begins to shift. spray all solvents into the cable port on the opposite side of the shifter than the cable housing, use compressed air liberally and i bet it'll free up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.