42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
When my son was 5, I got him a bike with Gripshift. It had 5 or 6 gears.
I rebuilt it and made it into a 1x8 with XT triggers. He immediately liked it better.
Now, at 9, he's two years with a 1x10 Sram X7 and shifts with the best of them.

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts
I put that same Acera shifter on my daughter's bike when she was six. It originally came with a gripshift, but she didn't have enough hand strength to use it. With the triggers, she had no problem shifting and it didn't take long for her to figure out how it worked.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I went with sram x4 thumb shifting. I had to switch from an old set of 8 speed xt shifters because the throw was too long for my daughter. Also, the concept of push and pull with shimano was difficult for her. Sram on the other hand is push push, which made it easier on her since she could use her thumb to actuate both. Also, when my son (whose 3 yrs older) rode this bike he didn't seem to have a problem with the xt shifters. My daughter though is more timid. She started on the 20" at 5 and is now 6 going on 7.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just grabbed this shifter from the lbs and installed it. It seems pretty good and a lot easier to shift. My only concern is the rear brake level is fairly tight to the downshift button. Hoping its more of an issue with an adult hand vs a 5 yo's hand, we'll see when he gets home from school. If this works I'm going to have to get another one for our trail-a-bike. On a bad note, I noticed that the rear axle/cassette wobbles, guessing it may have a slight bend, I'd assume that means I have to buy a new rear 20" wheel... sucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts