Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I've been eyeing the Avid Flak Jacket cables for my shifting cables. Don't really need em for braking since I have hydraulic discs. Anyways, my questions are...

- Does anyone have experience with these?

- Are these cables weight-weenie no-no's?

Thanks!! :)

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
They are great...

but heavy for a WW :rolleyes:.
I use to run them on my KLEIN with the brake cables.

Look for CLARK PRE-LUBE cables. These are also braided cables, but 25-30% lighter than SHIMANO S.I.S.

I been using them on the new build and they are sweet. Can be found cheap as they are considerd generic cables. They are silver though and come with aluminum ferrules.

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!!

DIRT BOY said:
but heavy for a WW :rolleyes:.
I use to run them on my KLEIN with the brake cables.

Look for CLARK PRE-LUBE cables. These are also braided cables, but 25-30% lighter than SHIMANO S.I.S.

I been using them on the new build and they are sweet. Can be found cheap as they are considerd generic cables. They are silver though and come with aluminum ferrules.
Thanks a ton for the quick response, Dirt Boy! I check the Clarks out. My first priority is weight savings, but I also want them to perform well, so I will check out the Clarks.

Thanks again!! :)

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Link?

Hey Dirt Boy, do you happen to have a link to where I could check those cables out? I'm doing a search on them, but have yet to have any luck. I've also checked blueskycycling and pricepoint.

Thanks!

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Well I got hem for my local distributor...

a few months ago.
Any LBS can order them from one of the major distributors.

e-mail or PM me if you nee more info.

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa..

I think we just posted at the exact same time...lol.. Anyways, thanks for all the help, Dirt Boy. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
934 Posts
bhsavery said:
also might want to check out the Powercordz kevlar cables, theyre the lightest cables out there, and work better than anything I've used before.
Where's a good place to get Powercordz in America? Braking and shifting?

(BTW I'w aware of the mixed experiences with these.)

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's one link...

Slobberdoggy said:
Where's a good place to get Powercordz in America? Braking and shifting?

(BTW I'w aware of the mixed experiences with these.)
Found them here, but I have not bought anything from them before, so I can't really tell you how good of a shop they are. I already checked blueskycycling and pricepoint, but they didn't have em.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPCBLBRK

Hope this helps!

·
Whatever
585 Posts
What about Avid Full Metal Jackets?

Before I moved to hydraulic discs, I used Avid Full Metal Jackets on my Avid BB cable discs. They were twice as powerful, with better modulation, than generic cables. Plus they are claimed to be 35% lighter than generic housing.

Anybody else have experience with them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.