Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i use my shimano LX (8 speed compatible) rapid fire shifter with my 7 speed rear cassette and shimano LX rear deraileur coupled with a suntour xc front deraileur + shimano lx shifter?

so will this work:

Shimano lx rapid fire shifter (clicks 8 times; i assume it's for 8 gears)
suntour xc front deraileur
shimano lx rear deraileur
7 speed cassette?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,733 Posts
8 clicks = 9 speeds

The shifters and deraillleurs will work fine together but the 7spd cassette is a problem. You will need to get a cassette that matches your shifter, ie 9spd, or find a cheap pair of 7spd shifters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i need a 9 spd cassette or an 8 speed cassette? also, are there different fitments, i know there are different size sprockets but are there certain cassettes that will fit my paramount and certain cassettes that won't?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,733 Posts
If your shifter has 8 clicks you need a 9spd cassette

iLUVmySH said:
i need a 9 spd cassette or an 8 speed cassette? also, are there different fitments, i know there are different size sprockets but are there certain cassettes that will fit my paramount and certain cassettes that won't?
If you currently have a 7spd shimano rear wheel you will need to get a 8/9spd freehub body put on your hub because a 9spd cassette will not fit on your wheel.

As far as cog sizes just get something similar to what you're using now if it is available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm sorry if the questions may seem elementary...

but my rear wheels is an 8 speed.. i didn't notice the smallest spocket...

my rear wheel is a chinook? suntour cassette power 100 i believe (kind of scratched up label) and the center of the wheel (hub?) is a MD-8s?

are the shimano lx rear derail. and shimano stx front derail. better than my suntour xc comp components?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,733 Posts
I'm guessing you have a RS30 right?

Well throwing a Suntour hub into the mix ruins all your chances. You cannot get a 9spd cassette for that hub nor can you upgrade it to take one. If you really want rapidfire you will have to get an 8spd set (7 clicks) and try your luck. It wont shift perfect with the Suntour cogs but should be pretty good.

The Suntour XC Comp parts are better than the Shimano LX and STX parts you mention. I would leave the bike with all its original parts. Suntour made very good quality stuff. If its not broken there is no need to replace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the thing is... sometimes when i try to get to my lowest gear on the front (smallest sprocket), it doesn't go... and in the rear, sometimes it misses gears or just won't shift into the in-between gears...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.