Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the flat bars on my Kona Dew with On One Midge dirt drop bars. For shifters I'm using Shimano 8spd bar ends. With the included shifter housing from Shimano, the ~20 inch housing length is only long enough to exit the bar tape just under the brake hood.

I don't ride on the flats of drop bars that much and would just assume the shifter housing follow the brake housing under the bar tape.

The trouble is, this routing will require at least 6" more length of housing than typical shifter cable kits have.

Many online retailers sell housing in 25 foot lengths, alternatively an LBS could probably sell me whatever length I need. If I go that route, how do I get correspondingly long inner cables?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Smurf Hunter said:
I just replaced the flat bars on my Kona Dew with On One Midge dirt drop bars. For shifters I'm using Shimano 8spd bar ends. With the included shifter housing from Shimano, the ~20 inch housing length is only long enough to exit the bar tape just under the brake hood.

I don't ride on the flats of drop bars that much and would just assume the shifter housing follow the brake housing under the bar tape.

The trouble is, this routing will require at least 6" more length of housing than typical shifter cable kits have.

Many online retailers sell housing in 25 foot lengths, alternatively an LBS could probably sell me whatever length I need. If I go that route, how do I get correspondingly long inner cables?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Sorry about bringing this back from the dead. Typically barcon shifters only keep the cable under the tape on the flat part of the drops. If you want to completely conceal the cables you have to buy new cables and casings. They take standard road bike cables. Hiding the cables under the tape makes for a much nicer installation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.