Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go to replace the crank and chain wheels on my Shift R1 do I look for a crank that fits a "X' type bottom bracket? I looked at the specs for my Shift R1 and it says "Truvativ Sealed Cartridge", I am confused as to what type it uses (I'm sure its easier than I think)
Also, I have an 8 speed cassette, will a three ring 9 speed use the same chain or do I need to look for an 8 speed?
If anyone can educate me on the specs for my bike I would be forever grateful ! At least until I get lost again!!! Thanks for helping a guy out!
A.H.
http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/specs/shift_r1.html#

·
Registered
96 Posts
on the shift r1 it is a square taper bottom bracket spindle. the raceface one you have there will work as long as you buy the "crank set" not just the cranks. that way you get the entire package, crank arms, chain rings, as well as the bottom bracket. you also need to make sure you get the proper size bottom bracket. shell and spindle length. if you go to your LBS they should be able to help you out. my guess is you've had trouble with your left crank arm coming loose after a few rides?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It hasn't come loose yet, I have been told to expect it to. Unfortunately the local bike shop is a 200 mile trip so that isn't going to happen, not for some time anyway.
Thanks for the info! Aaron

·
I'm a dog person
257 Posts
Dh_roach said:
on the shift r1 it is a square taper bottom bracket spindle. the raceface one you have there will work as long as you buy the "crank set" not just the cranks. that way you get the entire package, crank arms, chain rings, as well as the bottom bracket. you also need to make sure you get the proper size bottom bracket. shell and spindle length. if you go to your LBS they should be able to help you out. my guess is you've had trouble with your left crank arm coming loose after a few rides?
Just a bit of clarification: A crankset does not include a bottom bracket unless you are looking at something like the Shimano XTR w/ the integrated BB. A crankset typically includes arms, rings, ring bolts and crank bolt.

I agree with Dh_roach concerning your LBS. They'll be able to tell you exactly what you need. Many LBS's will match the prices you can find on the internet, as well, or offer free install of parts you buy from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.