Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I know go post in the drive-line forum.
But I really respect Titus rider opinions, so its posted here.

I really liked the gore cables, a little tuff to install, expensive, most times would only last a year. Silky smooth shifts. Too bad they are no longer available. Tried flack jackets, way too much binding/friction.
Now I'm using the nokon's. I'm not really happy with them. First, its not a sealed cable. Second the housing with the little beads makes noise against the frame/swingarm. Third the housing has no support, it just flip-flops which ever way and stays there. I'm afraid of it getting caught and torn off. If the beads once set to length were covered with a heat shrink wrapper, it would be a decent cable.
The SB is really hard on shift cables due to the big arc near the seat post, I'm at wits end.
Help a fellow titus rider.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Regular cables and housing....

Ridethebike said:
Yea I know go post in the drive-line forum.
But I really respect Titus rider opinions, so its posted here.

I really liked the gore cables, a little tuff to install, expensive, most times would only last a year. Silky smooth shifts. Too bad they are no longer available. Tried flack jackets, way too much binding/friction.
Now I'm using the nokon's. I'm not really happy with them. First, its not a sealed cable. Second the housing with the little beads makes noise against the frame/swingarm. Third the housing has no support, it just flip-flops which ever way and stays there. I'm afraid of it getting caught and torn off. If the beads once set to length were covered with a heat shrink wrapper, it would be a decent cable.
The SB is really hard on shift cables due to the big arc near the seat post, I'm at wits end.
Help a fellow titus rider.....
I've had both Gore and Avid sealed cable systems...now I use only regular QBP cables and housing and change it on a regular basis....way cheeper and they realy work well. I got tired of Gore problems...yes I do know how to correctly install them.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Dave
ps- these cables have been installed first on a Titus Motolite and then a Locomoto and not to be left out...a Riddler also.
Dave

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My gore cables were nice ..but

I removed them once I went over to SRAM , I found that they did not work as well with SRAM as with my XTR. I now am using cheap Jagwires that I replace every 3 months , so far so good. Would go back to Gore but finding them in South Africa is really hard.

·
Slow and steady
502 Posts
I'm using Nokon's too and while I agree with your described weaknesses, I still find them to be better than Gore and I get tired of replacing cables every 3 month. Nokon's are a huge PITA to install though, so it is annoying if anything goes wrong. I need to write down how many beads I have in each place in case I wreck and need to redo them.

-Tony

·
Professional Slacker
3,271 Posts
I've tried the flak jackets before, and swapped back to regular Shimano cables and housing, it just isn't worth the extra expense, IMHO. Shifter cables are so quick and easy to run I don't mind doing it once a year. BTW, stay away from the XTR housing, I had one blow out (before I changed the routing), they seem to be a little less robust than normal Shimano housings.

Does anybody else run their shifter cables "roadie style?" By this I mean that the cables do not cross over and run to the opposite side on the top tube. The front cable goes to the left side of the top tube, and the rear to the right. I did this on a whim and it seems to work fine for the last year or so. The big plus is that it looks a little neater. Still has about the same gentle bend and doesn't seem to be affected by crash induced handlebar turning any more than normal "mtb" routing.

Rich

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also found that its easier and as good to replace the cables more often with standard Shimano. The fancy stuff can get finicky. And yes, I also have my SB setup "roadie" style but not purposefully .. dohhhh .. but found it didn't make a difference so kept it for this season.

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my fit of anger

Got really PO'ed with the Nokons' So in my desperation/anger I took the cable cutter to it!
I had one last gore cable that I was saving just in case. Hopefully next time shift cables need replacement there will be more options.......
. angry cable guy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts