Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard if you ride a sherman agressivly in its lower travel setting that you can experience problems with your fork afterwards. Is this true? If so than what exactly happens when you ride it in short travel mode

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zerossix said:
just dont buy a manitou at all, you'll be thankful you didnt :rolleyes:
Dude. Shermans are amazing. i own one now thats why i was asking the question. Manitous sherman and travis lines are amazing and are some of the nicest forks around in my opinion. Dont forget about the gold lable.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
zerossix said:
just dont buy a manitou at all, you'll be thankful you didnt :rolleyes:
Quiet you. I work at 2 shops, and Manitou has taken care of me at both shops. Some of the time they even upgrade the forks for free.

Riding the Sherman in the lowered position can cause the metal wings to deform or sheer when topping out. When it breaks, it will make a real annoying ratcheting noise. You can permanently reduce the travel though. Search the thread, I did a write-up on it.

I've owned 2 Shermans and worked on a lot of them. They're amazing forks, and very easy to work with.

·
Registered
701 Posts
i have been riding my sherman flick for almost a year now. at first I loved the 130mm setting, its uber plush,prgressive,stiff and seems endless. I switched it over to 90mm and it made a world if difference. Like snaky69 said, lower it and become a smoother rider. Ive changed the travel setting tons of times and have had no problems at all with the adjustment knobs or anything. its been an awsome fork, I have no regrets, and it was cheap too.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Quiet you. I work at 2 shops, and Manitou has taken care of me at both shops. Some of the time they even upgrade the forks for free.

Riding the Sherman in the lowered position can cause the metal wings to deform or sheer when topping out. When it breaks, it will make a real annoying ratcheting noise. You can permanently reduce the travel though. Search the thread, I did a write-up on it.

I've owned 2 Shermans and worked on a lot of them. They're amazing forks, and very easy to work with.
Will, I have a question on a lowered Sherman. Ive been running mine around 80mm for the last year and Im thinking about dropping it to something in the low 70's. No biggie on doing it but here's the thing, it seems to have really limited travel (as in, its lowered but only travels about an inch). I run a fairly heavy die spring in it but it almost feels like theres a hydraulic lockout happening, as if maybe there's oil getting into the lowers? Ever come across that? I'd love to drop it a little more but Id also love to get some travel out of it. Whatcha think?

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zerossix said:
i will refuse to buy them or support them until they decide to start making decent products.
Im sorry man but thats like saying your going to get mad at avid because a few of their brakes leaked :rolleyes: . Seriously they have amazing forks. Just because you see all the problems with them at work dosnt mean their all bad. Your seeing the worst part. For every 1 person who has a problem with their fork i bet there are infinitly more that dont. You work at a shop. You really only see the bad side of products. People who are having a great time with their fork arent going to come in and tell you how great they are. You will only see a few people who are having some rare troubles with their fork.

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh by the way im not going to reduce the travel i was just curiouse as to what would happen. I posted it in this forum because i know xsl will has tones of experience with shermans and i wanted to hear from him as well as other people.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
I love my 80mm Jumper. I bought one used, and after almost a year it was creaking pretty bad. I sent it back, and Manitou gave me a brand new one for free.
No suspension fork is perfect, and none last forever. Manitou makes a good fork, and has treated me well. I can't say the same for Marzocchi.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
man i didnt think id get this ganged up on for this one...

anyways, ive had problems with them so i wont ride them. if you ride one, and like how it rides, and havent had any problems, good keep riding it.

oh and will, manitou has always been good about sending out new parts and stuff like that with me too, the issue is when they send me new parts with the same problem as the old parts, thats when i get pissed off.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
namaSSte said:
Will, I have a question on a lowered Sherman. Ive been running mine around 80mm for the last year and Im thinking about dropping it to something in the low 70's. No biggie on doing it but here's the thing, it seems to have really limited travel (as in, its lowered but only travels about an inch). I run a fairly heavy die spring in it but it almost feels like theres a hydraulic lockout happening, as if maybe there's oil getting into the lowers? Ever come across that? I'd love to drop it a little more but Id also love to get some travel out of it. Whatcha think?
Could it be that the spring is binding? There's not enough free travel (if that's the appropriate term) for the spring to move 80mm? Remember that very little oil goes in the lowers because it's for lubrication purposes only. If too much oil leaked into the lowers, it'd be more likely to pop those seals off. Try removing a bit of oil from the dampener.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.