Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased what is supposed to be a new fork from an online retailer--the fork seems extremely soft and the rapid travel adjust doesn't seem to reduce the travel or dampen the shock at all. I tested this just as I set up the fork, and did not take it out riding. Has anyone had a similar problem. Could a lack of oil be the problem. I have tried to find information on how and where to change the oil on this fork and have come up short. ANy suggestions would be appreciated--I would rather deal with this problem myself, rather than send the forks back and be out of a bike for a couple of weeks.
Thanks in advance,
C

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
The travel adjust problem is a matter of clocking.
-Always start with the travel adjust knob in the long travel setting, turned all the way forward.
-Pull the travel adjust knob off, make a note with a felt tip pen on the hex "shaft" of where you started,
-grip the silver hex looking "shaft" with pliers and turn it clockwise (looking down on it) until you get a bit of resistance. The spring will be turning inside the leg. I use the faces of the hex shaft as increment measurements, thus the marking with the felt tip pen
- release it and let it return slightly on it's own, put the knob back on. turn it to the short travel mode and compress.
- If it engages, you're good. If not, you'll probably feel a grinding sensation. turn back to long travel setting, take the knob off, rotate the shaft clockwise incrementaly, put the cap on and try again.

These instructions are kind of vague and are a little more detailed here:

http://www.answerproducts.com/guide...Ride Kit Coil.pdf?cvar1=4/25/2005+11:02:13+AM

I always use the 2003 instructions for mechanical issues, they're more detailed than the newer ones.

As far as compression goes, it doesn't really affect the first two thirds of the stroke of the fork, just the end stroke. If the fork feels too soft on initial compression, move up to a stiffer spring and use less compression.

Oil heights doesn't affect Manitous like it does Marzocchi's. Too little oil and you just get crappy dampening characteristics. Too much oil you get crappy dampening and not full travel, a result of hydrualic locking. For oil heights in an 05 Flick the should be 3.3-3.5 inches. That means the top of the oil level should measure 3.3-3.5 inches to the top of the crown (crown race) 3.6 or more and you have to little oil, 3.2 or less and you have too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Worked perfectly! Also looked into the oil level after teh travel was reclocked--looks like i'm about 1 1/4" low. Thanks so much for the help.

mattsavage said:
The travel adjust problem is a matter of clocking.
-Always start with the travel adjust knob in the long travel setting, turned all the way forward.
-Pull the travel adjust knob off, make a note with a felt tip pen on the hex "shaft" of where you started,
-grip the silver hex looking "shaft" with pliers and turn it clockwise (looking down on it) until you get a bit of resistance. The spring will be turning inside the leg. I use the faces of the hex shaft as increment measurements, thus the marking with the felt tip pen
- release it and let it return slightly on it's own, put the knob back on. turn it to the short travel mode and compress.
- If it engages, you're good. If not, you'll probably feel a grinding sensation. turn back to long travel setting, take the knob off, rotate the shaft clockwise incrementaly, put the cap on and try again.

These instructions are kind of vague and are a little more detailed here:

http://www.answerproducts.com/guide...Ride Kit Coil.pdf?cvar1=4/25/2005+11:02:13+AM

I always use the 2003 instructions for mechanical issues, they're more detailed than the newer ones.

As far as compression goes, it doesn't really affect the first two thirds of the stroke of the fork, just the end stroke. If the fork feels too soft on initial compression, move up to a stiffer spring and use less compression.

Oil heights doesn't affect Manitous like it does Marzocchi's. Too little oil and you just get crappy dampening characteristics. Too much oil you get crappy dampening and not full travel, a result of hydrualic locking. For oil heights in an 05 Flick the should be 3.3-3.5 inches. That means the top of the oil level should measure 3.3-3.5 inches to the top of the crown (crown race) 3.6 or more and you have to little oil, 3.2 or less and you have too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.