Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 Spec. Enduro I've been riding a few years, and have liked the stock Marzochii MXC, but would like to upgrade to a 5' travel fork with a bit more adjustability. I'm primarily looking at getting a Z1 Drop-off 1 or another 'zochii Z1 or Manitou Sherman Firefly, and would like to hear any experiences any of you all have had with either of these forks on Enduros. I'm into aggressive trailriding and light freeriding. Here are the benefits I've come up with for each fork:

1. Z1 Drop-off: Marzochii performance, Preload & Rebound adjust, ETA, less $$ than sherman

2. Sherman Firefly: SPV, Rebound, Compression, and Preload adjust

Any other fork suggestions would be cool as well.

I'm also interested to hear if there have been any wierd geometry issues with either of these forks.

Thanks.

·
Cheesiest
1,613 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I'm trying to debate between a firefly or z1 fr sl. They both look sweet!

·
Registered
71 Posts
can't say much for the z1, but I've got an enduro and all the guys at my LBS ride fireflies they like 'em so much they talked me into ordering one. I wanted to wait to see what the Nixon would be like but can't cough up the 850 beans for it.

(two of them have been running them on enduros as well, so no probs there)
hope this helps

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
I am riding a 2002 Enduro FSR that I built up myself. I put a 2001 Z1 MCR on and I love it. The Z1 is a great shock and VERY easy to maintain. I have changed the oil a few times with no trouble at all and swapped the springs around to really get the shock exactly how I like it. I am running a mixed spring rate right now and it is superb.
I am running the heavy spring in one side and a medium in the other side and it is the best of both worlds.

I am not a big fan of SPV shocks. I have no problem with bobbing while riding in or out of the saddle if the shock is set up right.
The 2001 Z1 has pre load and rebound and ETA. I think the ETA is a must for a 5" shock especially on those STEEP climbs help a ton.

All in all the Z1 is a great shock with tons of adjustability and easy do it yourself maintenance.

I found the longer axel to crown length of the zoke adds 1/2 to 1 degree of head angle slackness.
did that make sense? If my head angle is supposed to be 70.5 then I think is more like 70 or 69.5 with the zoke.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
VTOL said:
I have an '02 Spec. Enduro I've been riding a few years, and have liked the stock Marzochii MXC, but would like to upgrade to a 5' travel fork with a bit more adjustability. I'm primarily looking at getting a Z1 Drop-off 1 or another 'zochii Z1 or Manitou Sherman Firefly, and would like to hear any experiences any of you all have had with either of these forks on Enduros. I'm into aggressive trailriding and light freeriding. Here are the benefits I've come up with for each fork:

1. Z1 Drop-off: Marzochii performance, Preload & Rebound adjust, ETA, less $$ than sherman

2. Sherman Firefly: SPV, Rebound, Compression, and Preload adjust

Any other fork suggestions would be cool as well.

I'm also interested to hear if there have been any wierd geometry issues with either of these forks.

Thanks.
The Marz Z!FR is a great fork for the type of riding that you do. The FR has better damping than the DropOff unless you intend to do mostly jumping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.