Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let's have it- what are you guys running for this thing? I am running a 32:16 for everything but am thinking of going to a 32:17 for the big day. Are most of you sticking with 2:1 or is anyone going 32:18?

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
jayoutside said:
So let's have it- what are you guys running for this thing? I am running a 32:16 for everything but am thinking of going to a 32:17 for the big day. Are most of you sticking with 2:1 or is anyone going 32:18?
I, and the few people I talked to during the race (about gearing), ran lower than usual. I'd suggest dropping down a little as well, however, I don't know you or how strong you are. What may feel too easy at mile 10 may feel just right at mile 85.

·
Registered
60 Posts
32x18

I ran a gear ratio of 32x18 back in 02'. This ratio suited me just fine. Though I was wishing for more gears on the last 30 miles while on the fire road climb up to the highest point. Overall, it's a fantastic race for singlespeed riders. Best of luck and enjoy!

Wish I was racing the SM100 this year.:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't be shy

Come on guys -the ones of you who pulled in times under 10 hrs.....did you you grunt it out with a 2:1 or spin your butt off with an easier ratio ???? I know the gearing varies but I'd like to know what some of you studs are running
Jay

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
jayoutside said:
Come on guys -the ones of you who pulled in times under 10 hrs.....did you you grunt it out with a 2:1 or spin your butt off with an easier ratio ???? I know the gearing varies but I'd like to know what some of you studs are running
Jay
ERoman.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Flip-Flopping?

I was reading through the thread that Drevil linked--somewhere the question was raised, but not discussed--what about changing gears part way through?

I mean, flip-flop hubs are not uncommon--one could theoretically start with a 2:1 and then at aid station 4, for instance, flip your wheel and go 2 teeth bigger in the back. This way, when fatigue is really starting to set in and that 20 mile climb is looming, you could get a little relief.

Does this technically make you a 2-speed and not a single speed? Is this being true to the spirit of singlespeeding, or is it just practical survival strategy.

I ride my SS the 8 hilly miles to work most every morning. There are mornings when I'm feeling zippy and fresh. Those days I go with the 18t cog. There are mornings when I'm seriously dragging @$$. Those are the mornings when I throw the chain 'round the old 20t.

Is it still a single speed, when I "shift" like that?

I'm sure I've just opened a can of worms which has been opened before on this forum, and one on which we're unlikely to ever come to a concesnsus. Sorry guys. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
sm100 gears

There were only 4 SSer's under 10 hours last year & 2 the year before.

You got to be a real badass to pull of under 10 hrs.

I know 2- ERoman & LCamp both rode 29ers last year with a gear roughly = 32:18 on a 26.

Not sure what Brennan and Elsasser rode.

In 2002 there were only 2 that made it in under 10 hrs ERoman (32:18 26er) and Tim Richardson (34:18 fixed 26).

32:18 seems to be the winning gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts