Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming out from California for this race, my dad lives in Harrisonburg.
I havn't ridden there in years and am not familiar with the course.

I'm wondering which bike I should bring. I've got a 23lb hardtail with V-brakes that I did the Cascade Creampuff on. I also have a 5" travel Giant Trance X1 with disc brakes that weighs around 28lbs. It climbs pretty well but is a pig.

As I recall there was a lot of road / gravel climbing and rocky descents there.

I'll be sporting big fat tires tubeless tires to avoid flats.

Thanks all.
-Hyland

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Only bringing one bike?
Do you have ceramic rims on the hardtail?
If so, use the hardtail.
If not, the Giant for the disc brakes.
SM100 has been dry for the past few years- odds are towards some rain at this point. I'd hate to do those descents with effectively no working brakes. Ceramic rims do work, however- so if you have 'em, I'd run the HT.
These are strictly my opinions and others may vary.
Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
Id say to go with the full susser, over that long of a haul I think the advantage of the suspension in the back will keep you fresher than hauling a little extra weight around... its not a sprint, its a marathon. While none of the race is necessarily full suspension terrain, with that many miles I think the hardtail would wear you out.

However there are some nutters who do the race on rigid fixies, so pick your poison.

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I DO have ceramic rims on the hardtail.
I felt pretty good after the Creampuff, but that is a pretty smooth course. I was glad to have the hardtail on that course.
I've won Downieville on a hardtail, so, i'm not a bad descender on the rough stuff. Just worried that I may be getting myself into 50 miles of rough and rocky descending...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
70% of your time is on gravel road, 90% of your climbing.

The descending is killer. My back hurt in the middle of the last descent on my HT, but definitely will be using it again. There's nothing that requires the FS, but it's a lot of miles.
Disclaimer: I only ride one bike now, no FS available to me. IF makes the best frames ever!!
Disclaimer #2: My goal this year is sub-10 hours. IN other words, I ain't gunning for the top.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Mike Brown said:
70% of your time is on gravel road, 90% of your climbing.

The descending is killer. My back hurt in the middle of the last descent on my HT, but definitely will be using it again. There's nothing that requires the FS, but it's a lot of miles.
Disclaimer: I only ride one bike now, no FS available to me. IF makes the best frames ever!!
Disclaimer #2: My goal this year is sub-10 hours. IN other words, I ain't gunning for the top.
I agree w/ this. If you can rock the HT downhill I'd go with that. I personally think the best bike to race this course w/ is a 29er HT.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Alright, so to bump this thread with my own question...

Would I be totally out of my mind to do this on my cyclocross bike? I sort of like it better than my XC bike, and with 46/36 gearing up front and 11-29 out back, it's got a lot of gear. I could even go as low as 40/33 front.

Wheels would be a yet to be built double butted dt revolution 32 spoked beefy wheelset. Campy hubs. Probably open pro ceramic rims.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wait, so you're saying I should rock a pimp bike? I could get some gold Velocity Deep Vs, with pink spokes if that'd help.

Also, do you think the banana seat would serve as sort of a suspension system? I think this may be an untapped goldmine...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
dRjOn said:
how does the course compare to w101?
The W101 has more fireroad, but the nasty sections on the the W101 are worse than anything on the SM100. I'd guess the W101 in general runs about 30-1hr faster than the SM100 for most folks. The W101 has less climbing overall, and nothing as mind numbing as that 17 mile slog between checkpoints 4 and 5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.