Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Norco: Revolver HT 1 120, Revolver FS 1 120, Sight A1, Search XR
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to complete 4 NUE races this year to actually compete for series points. I've raced Mohican, Lumberjack and Wilderness. I'd like to do some recon of the Shenandoah race route. Looking for route suggestions that would include the key parts of the race.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You can hit three of the loops pretty easily. I'm bad with names but riding the death climb and the descent after would be a good loop. You could also go up hanky all the way and do the descent down. The last one I'd suggest is up the road, to lynn, to chesnut. Depending on fitness you could probably combine some.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm trying to complete 4 NUE races this year to actually compete for series points. I've raced Mohican, Lumberjack and Wilderness. I'd like to do some recon of the Shenandoah race route. Looking for route suggestions that would include the key parts of the race.

Not to steal your post, but I'm looking to do 2, maybe 3, NUE races next year. How would you rank the 3 you've done already?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@AMac4108 Of the three I've done this year, Lumberjack is the simplest because it's 3 laps of very nice singletrack. However it was very rainy, and hard to see through fogged up/wet glasses. I think a lot of folks ran out of brakes as well. Mohican is normally pretty manageable, but the added singletrack was very slow going and made for a very long race. Wilderness was probably the "easiest" of the 3 this year because the weather was good and I was able to mostly ride the rocky sections (except, of course, fisherman's path). Next year when Cohutta returns in April - that would be my recommended NUE starter event.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I would just

So if I were you I'd just go to camp at Stokesville campground. You can ride the first half on day 1 and the second on day 2.

On day 1 I'd go left at MM37 (where I highlighted), and head up over the mountain. Then you get a fun descent into the campground. On day two I'd park at the highlighted area, and ride the rest of the loop. The second half of the race rolls way faster than the first, so I think it would be a pretty good way to experience it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I routed my 2-day recon plans:
Part 1 from Stokesville campground: SMT100 Part 1 Recon
Takes a left instead of right at 62K to return to campground.

Part 2 is from North River Campground. It's divided into 2 parts to allow a return to the campground to refuel via Leading Ridge Rd(95):

·
Registered
926 Posts
OK, I routed my 2-day recon plans:
Part 1 from Stokesville campground: SMT100 Part 1 Recon
Takes a left instead of right at 62K to return to campground.

Part 2 is from North River Campground. It's divided into 2 parts to allow a return to the campground to refuel via Leading Ridge Rd(95):
Have fun! The trails really are a hoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.