Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well I picked up the Statesman Urinal this morning and it seems that the powers that be have decided to close SF completly! The top gate is now closed and will be accessed by permit only. What genius decided to log in an area that is very popular, in the height of camping, biking and tourist season? Politics or corporate greed ?

·
Calm like a Bomb
1,070 Posts
The gate I know west of the waterfall was closed, so now you are saying the other and only non keyed entrance is now closed?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am going to remain optimistic. The article describes the cut area as NE of the camp ground. I believe all of the FR trails are to the NW of the campground.

I am not sure about the XC loop though. It is somewhat heavily used by equestrians so maybe their clout will help spare it.

Edit: I agree with jekramerjr51. I think it speaks volumes about the priority level of recreational use.

·
Calm like a Bomb
1,070 Posts
when we were there we took a very long dirt road that wrapped around the hillside for about 8 miles. We thought it was the wrong way and when we spoke o some guys riding they said it was and that would could go this other way

so when we left we took the other way, came up to a gate before a waterfall which was closed but not locked so we kept going. then came to another gate right next to the road to the highway and unfortunately that gate was locked and we had to backtrack the way we came in

·
Registered
172 Posts
Since Shellburg Falls is in limbo right now,I would like to take this time to send out an open invitation to come out and ride the Monument Trails in Gates.I live about a mile from the trailhead and ride there almost everyday.If you enjoy SF,I think you will enjoy Monument.Come check it out!

·
Registered
420 Posts
jekramerjr51 said:
Since Shellburg Falls is in limbo right now,I would like to take this time to send out an open invitation to come out and ride the Monument Trails in Gates.I live about a mile from the trailhead and ride there almost everyday.If you enjoy SF,I think you will enjoy Monument.Come check it out!
Tell us more about monument trails, any free riding mixed in or is it all single track goodness?

·
Registered
219 Posts
jekramerjr51 said:
Yeah tell us more about this trail. Post up a map if you can.

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
I have been using the Shellberg area since I was in high school; Its quite disappointing to hear that its completely shut down right now!
I too am interested in this other trail you speak of ???
Nothing better than riding and exploring a new trail!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry,no freeride but plenty of singletrack goodness! The trails are in pretty good shape considering the weather we had this spring. I will give anyone a guided tour who would like to come up and check it out. I will post a map soon. thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Monument Peak Trail conditions

I was up on MP this evening and the trails are looking good! Trail maintenence is in effect.As far as trail discription goes,there are some very fast flowing sections with alot of roots,some sections with creek and bridge crossings.Some sections you cross gravel roads to get to the next section.There are a couple sections that have a few switchbacks that kind of messes with the flow of the rest of the section.There is a parking lot at the trailhead and you have your choice of starting with singletrack and having a very steep climb,or climb the forestry gravel road for about four miles to the very top of the trails and depending on which section you take,can have a total of 8 to 10 miles of singletrack goodness! I really enjoy both Shellberg and Dallas,but this is only a mile warm up from the house.What can be better? I think MP gets overlooked because of Shellberg and Silver Creek Falls.I have been riding up here for almost a year and have never met another rider on the trails and have only seen another set of tire tracks once or twice. I have a couple of riding buddies that have been up here and they enjoyed it very much. I hope I have answered some of your questions? Hope to hear from some of you or perhaps meet on the trail? Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The link to the map that toowacky posted are the trails that jims(jekramerjr51) talking about. Nice trails, but more horse usage than some others? The local guide (jim) i'm sure can fill us in on the horse people activity up there.

According to the web site not all the trails are closed at shellburg. So whos right the statesman urinal or the web site? I guess a phone call to the state forestry is the only way to find out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, I just got off the phone with the Forestry Dept.As of right now ALL of Shellburg is CLOSED! I asked about the access road that starts at the Fernridge Rd. parking lot that goes through the park and leads to the top gate and that will be used for logging truck access. I also asked about the FR area at the top,and that area is closed as of right now and may be opened in the future by permit only and will only be accessed via Wagner Rd. And as far as the horse trafic at Monument,I have only come across one person on horseback and she is a local like me and we see each other up there all the time.Like I stated before,I have riddin up there for almost a year and the most traffic I have ever come across is in the fall for hunting and during the holiday season to cut Chritmas trees. I hope this info was helpful?Thanks again.

·
I should be out riding
1,857 Posts
I'm a former local, and have ridden the new trails on monument a few times as well as shelburg for years and years. The monument trails can get pretty chewed up by horses, I'd avoid the area if there's been much rain. It'd be nice to get more bikes out there and smooth down the horsotilling. Haven't been there for a long time, but there used to be a network of equestrian built trails on McCully mountain too that were ok, and there's also a few trails south of Mill City, which could be connected with Monument if you're willing to ride gravel. And for that matter, for those willing to ride gravel, there are some old 4 x 4 roads higher up that can make some epic rides even without singletrack.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Really bummed about shellburg being closed. As much as I would like to hike in I would rather not jepardize future riding in the spot. I havn't had much good experience with the horseback riders up at Monument. You say "hi" and they act suprised and then complain you could have startled their horse. You stand 10 ft off the trail holding a red bike waiting for them to pass and they complain and say you need to make your presence known or you could startle their horse:madman:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts