Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biking greats has spoken... What do you think? This is found on his site in the Glossary under D.H.

"Down Hill, specifically, down hill racing. This activity that goes against the spirit of cycling more than any other branch of the sport, since it is the only branch of cycling which is not powered by the riders' muscles. This sport should, perhaps, be considered a branch of motorcycling, not cycling."

·
Registered
342 Posts
someone obviously doesn't enjoy riding bikes - only making money in a sport

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well I say that he should be shot. jk
To say that dh'ing requires no physical strength, endurance or effort goes to show how ignorant people can be. I don't know who he is, but maybe he should try it before he disses it. I'll assume he is a roadie, and in response would say dh'ing requires a different type of endurance: to be able to sprint all ou for 3-4 minutes on a technically challenging course rather than ride 100 miles on a nice paved road.

·
Registered
682 Posts
tahoeyeti said:
haha looks like he's not the only one that is somewhat ignorant

j/k
I wouldn't call it ignorance because I now have looked him up and know who he is. I was just a little offended by what he said. I think I'll write him an angry yet informative letter to depict my grave disapointment in him.

·
I Welcome All
424 Posts
pshhh, neither does the tour de france, its not like you have to be strong to compete in that right?

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Let's see old Sheldy compete in a really pedally non-technical downhill race and make the same statement as he crosses the finish line without stopping for breath.

·
Look at the time!
1,139 Posts
DHidiot said:
Let's see old Sheldy compete in a really pedally non-technical downhill race and make the same statement as he crosses the finish line without stopping for breath.
Old Sheldon is over 60 years old and suffers from progressive MS, so it's unlikely that he will be riding any regular bicycle again ever.

He is also one of the most knowledgable persons when it comes to traditional bicycle technology in general. No need to disrespect him just because he doesn't like DH. He probably doesn't really care about it at all, just had to write a sentence about it in his glossary.

Give him a break.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
To call my (our) style of cycling something that goes against the spirit of the entire sport and to call it something that requires no power from the rider is stupid and ill-informed. I'm not giving him any breaks if he's supposed to be so knowledgeable.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
DHidiot said:
To call my (our) style of cycling something that goes against the spirit of the entire sport and to call it something that requires no power from the rider is stupid and ill-informed. I'm not giving him any breaks if he's supposed to be so knowledgeable.
How old are you :confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
While it is true that we are cyclists, we are more specificly mountain bikers. I have made this point before that the origns of our chosen sport began in riding down a mountain. Those guys were the origanal DH'ers. So in the begining all MTB'ing was downhill.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The first guys to ride MTBs back in the day, Gary Fisher and the like; Didn't they ride down Repack Hill?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I first heard of Sheldon when I started looking into building a SS. He makes it very obvious his distaste for DH. But his knowledge of SS and Fixy bikes and tech is immense. I just never held his view on DH against him.

I wish him well in his battle with MS.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts