Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really find my bike heavy, but maybe it's because I've never really pushed it hard and it's lighter than my old bike. I'm guessing it weighs around 33-34lbs(small-frame '11 Yukon FX), but wondering, would it be possible to get it to around 30lbs or less?

I've already ordered a carbon fiber seat post due to the Giant seat being a little tall for me on the lowest setting(I prefer my seats low and "out of the way"; putting in a 300mm post), but I believe that only saves about 150g, and I've been eying smaller pedals(Wellco WR-1; is it fine to use "road" pedals on MTBs?)

Another thing I've looked at is cheap SR Suntour Epicon forks to replace the stock Suntour XCM V3(I believe the ones that came on the bike are 2500g, while the Epicons are around 1800g); but is there even a significant difference in performance? I'm not sure if I have the preload adjuster maxed out, but it seems a bit on the soft side.

I'm not really looking to spend much, but would carbon fiber handlebar, maybe a stem too, help save a noticeable amount of weight?

Thanks guys!
Kevin

·
Registered
224 Posts
The wheels, and fork will make the biggest difference. Stem, seatpost, saddle, bars and pedals are next. The mechanical disc brakes are actually quite heavy too.

Just remember: under 30lbs, the cost per gram of weight savings goes waaaaay up.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
From what Ive read, the large frame '10 FX weighs in at 30.1 lbs. I could be mistaken very easily thought and I havent had a chance to put mine on a scale. It appears that the wheelset and fork are the main culprits in weight on these bikes. Mine has the rock shox dart 2 but from what I have found it weighs just slightly less than its suntour competitor. I believe the dart weighs in just above 2300g. I would look into a diff wheelset (plenty of sub $300 wheelsets), and perhaps a new fork. (Again, plenty of under $300 options if you watch the sales.) The only problem I forsee with it, is how much money do you spend on it before you say, ok thats enough, im going to buy an anthem/trance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

I dropped $650 on the bike so, yeah. :) The seat post ran me $68(Taiwan brand I believe; shouldn't matter since that's where the bike was made too!). I think I'll go with cheap everything though. So the Suntour Epicons should be a good, or decent, choice?

When you guys say wheels/tires, this means more than going tubeless? I tried searching the wheels I have(S-XC2) and all I got was one guy saying they're 460g(26") and another guy that weighed his at 2202g/2819g(front/rear, not sure what tires, but they're Kenda, disc brakes, and 9spd cassette) and another guy with 1160g/1850g, no tires. In general, how much weight savings could I expect from different wheelsets? Given the price of the bike, $300/set plus tires seems high...but then again if I upgrade bike, it can be swapped onto there.

I also do not know how bikes are balanced, but this seems a little nose-heavy too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Going tubeless shaves about a pound. The stock Nevegals are pretty heavy. You can find a 2.2"ish tires that are about 100g lighter. Even re-lacing a lighter 19mm hoop to the stock hubs with butted spokes would a) be stronger and b) shave weight. The As far as forks go. I really like the X-Fusion velvet, and it's only 3.5lbs. There are lighter forks, but not for around $300. You might find a used fork cheaper.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Btw, another fork to consider is the X Fusion Enix RL. Ill be putting one of those on my '10 along with a set of anozic outlaws this winter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much weight would new spokes shave? I mean, I'd imagine it would be minuscule due to the size of the spokes, or am I wrong?

NicoleB28, how low did you get the weight and what wheels did you use?

Looking at the X-Fusion Velvet shocks, most places seem to carry the 15mm axle versions only; so if I go that route; it'd be better to get a new wheelset vs. hub+re-lacing(stock is 9mm)?

Again, sorry if I sound like a newb. Thanks!

·
see me rollin, they hatin
4,619 Posts
How much weight would new spokes shave? I mean, I'd imagine it would be minuscule due to the size of the spokes, or am I wrong?

NicoleB28, how low did you get the weight and what wheels did you use?

Looking at the X-Fusion Velvet shocks, most places seem to carry the 15mm axle versions only; so if I go that route; it'd be better to get a new wheelset vs. hub+re-lacing(stock is 9mm)?

Again, sorry if I sound like a newb. Thanks!
i only had the yukon for 2 months, and i remember liking it since it was my first FS, but it was heavy when i had to haul it over stuff. i didnt end up owning it long enough to swap out parts, but when i got my next bike, we put a new crank and wheels on.

i dont knwo what your budget is, but my wheels were pretty pricy. (i was looking at Mavic, Crank bros, and DT swiss) I went from 1800 grams to 1500. (nearly a pound) Then again, you can still probably find something better than what came on them, for less money. Also, certain tires and going tubeless helps. but the rims themselves add a lot of weight. you might want to look up the weight of your current wheels and start comparing around.

And as somebody said, dont bother sinking a ton of money when you could just sell what you have, and get a trance or anthem! ( i have an anthem, at 26 pounds, and i'm still going lighter with it).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Theres a weight breakdown for the components of a '11 Trance X4. Which uses alot of the same parts as the Yukon FX. The wheels on the trance are the Giant S-XC2's, i believe these to be the same rims on my 2010 that Giant has brand just as the Giant XC Double Wall. And they are the same rims equipped on the '11 FX.

Giant S-XC2 Front w/ Rotor: 2202g
Giant S-XC2 Rear w/ Rotor/Cassette 2819g

FX Cassette (SRAM PG830 8 Speed): 320g
X4 Cassette (Shimano Deore 9 Speed) 358g

FX Hayes MX4 Rotor (Hayes Standard 160mm Rotor) 112g
X4 Shimano Alivio 160mm Approx: 140g (Add 20g for 180mm rear rotor)

Approx S-XC2 Wheel Weight (W/o Rotor) 2062g
Approx S-XC2 Rear Wheel Weight (W/o Rotor/Cassette) 2301g

And I just realized I forgot to take off the weight of the tires, which are 680g each.

Front Wheel w/o Tire 1382g
Rear Wheel w/o Tire 1621g

Azonic Front Wheel w/o Tire 1065g
Azonic Rear Wheel w/o Tire 1265g

Thats a savings of 1657g (Approx, im going off advertised weights) which is about 3.65 lbs. Which for $300 would put it damn near under the 30 lbs mark give or take.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have brought my Yukon FX way down in weight, and I am still working on it.

I got rid of the stock gears and went to SRAM X9 all around PG990, PC991, Hope Pro II hubs with ZTR Flow rims, Conti X-king 2.4 tubeless, Hope Tech M4 with Hope Floating rotors, Race Face Deus crank with Hope ceramic BB, RS Sid RLT Ti 120mm fork 15mm t/a.

Next is bars, stem, seatpost. I am not going total WW, I am fairly heavy @ 230lbs so Im thinking Thomson Elite Seatpost, some Easton bars and maybe a Thomson Stem, and eventually a new saddle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.