Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has this ever been done before? you take a standard, knobby tire, and pretty much attack it with a razor knife or some other instrument of cutting...they do it with monster trucks, to give the tires more grip...so i'm thinking, maybe doing this to a mtb tire would add a little mroe grip, while cutting out some weight from the wheels. OR, shaving the treads off completely to make a smooth road tire.

eh...would either of those work?

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
has this ever been done before? you take a standard, knobby tire, and pretty much attack it with a razor knife or some other instrument of cutting...they do it with monster trucks, to give the tires more grip...so i'm thinking, maybe doing this to a mtb tire would add a little mroe grip, while cutting out some weight from the wheels. OR, shaving the treads off completely to make a smooth road tire.

eh...would either of those work?
You can cut, sipe, carve or grind/shave... best have some idea of what you want to gain before starting because the tire can be pretty much scrap if you're not careful. This is a real art when it's done well. Google it and you'll see lots of info - mostly for cars, dirt track and off road. Shaving/grinding used to be the rage for street car tires...

Cheers
:cool:

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm looking around online about shaving bike tires...would i want to shave just the center, and leave the shoulders of the tires for grip, or could i get the same amount of grip with shaving the shoulders?

i'm kinda trying to convert my $8 goodyear MTB tires into road tires, btw

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
i'm looking around online about shaving bike tires...would i want to shave just the center, and leave the shoulders of the tires for grip, or could i get the same amount of grip with shaving the shoulders?

i'm kinda trying to convert my $8 goodyear MTB tires into road tires, btw
Check this out...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=383804&highlight=clearance

If this is for the road, shave the whole tire down to the radius you want. You probably don't want a square section tire - thats what you'd get if you only shaved the center...

Good luck

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
airman said:
Check this out...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=383804&highlight=clearance

If this is for the road, shave the whole tire down to the radius you want. You probably don't want a square section tire - thats what you'd get if you only shaved the center...

Good luck
sweet! that's exactly the same idea that i had, i just didn't know if anyone had posted that up...i did search "tire shav*" and nothing came up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.