Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am selling my monkey(can i say that without buying an ad?) and buying a paragon(as long as there are some in stock tomorrow).
any good ideas on how to lighten the paragon while keeping it strong?
im 220 and 6-1 and fairly smooth on the bike.
any good ideas for dropping some weight easily?

thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ride a medium. Got my 06 Paragon down to 24lbs. I switched stem and bars to On one Mary bars and FSA XC stem.(didn't really loose any there haha sorry), Carbon seatpost dropped some of the weight along with a Ti railed San Marco saddle. Switched wheelset to American Classic 350 disc. I am 195 and so far they are great, they have fixed the hub issue to my knowledge. Also run Kenda Klaws tubeless w. 26" Stans strips(I feel the 29" ones are a little too big and don't fit as snug as the 26" strips) and switched the cassette from the Sram Pg 970 to Shimano XT. I also switched my fork travel to 100mm instead of 80. I am diggin' it very much. I will get a pic near the end of the week for ya on this thread.

The wheel/cassette upgrade along w/ tubeless set up dropped the most weight. Everything that is stock on the bike is fairly light and is very durable. Don't see the need to upgrade the componets until the current ones fail which could be ahwile. Sram x.9 stuff is hard to beat. I could get the bike under 24lbs if I would switch to carbon handlebars, Run lighter tires etc, but I would never give up my sweeping handlebars for 100 grams, and I like the klaws for the NC mud. I might try some Maxxis Ignitors soon though.

Hope this helps. Wait to you see the yellow sparkle flake paint job on the Paragon it is just amazing!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i realy dont want to go as far as changing the wheelset just yet, mauybe switch out bars, stem, and post shortly...and maybe osme lighter tubes and tires after a while...my km is a pig, losing 2#s going to the paragon and gaining a sus fork, triple cranks and hydro brakes.....I have a paragon in the shop now and it is a sick bike.
the bars that come on it are weird though, they seem to sweep down, and not very wide.

i wonder if a brooks saddle would look good on a paragon?

G

·
crashedupderby said:
i wonder if a brooks saddle would look good on a paragon?
you want to ~lose~ weight? Brooks are great saddles, but pretty heavy. I lost almost 3/4 of a pound going from a Brooks professional to a flite saddle on my monkey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts