Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Huffy Rider
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used bike and the previous owner did not know which spring was in the '14 Boxxer as a shop did some custom work on the suspension, so I opened it up and found this. A red spring that had been ground down/shaved from one end to the other. The previous owner weighed 125, and the bike came with a spare silver spring.

Is this a common practice? Acceptable? Is it safe? The bike has seen very little use. I have never seen this or heard of anyone doing this. Suffice to say, it is too light for me and I need a new red spring.

Attachments

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
I’ve never heard of it being done on an mtb, and if done industrially it is done pretty precisely/uniformly by machines as part of the finishing process... and looks nothing like that when they’re done... That was done by a dude with an angle grinder for someone so light any loss of diameter uniformity or resultant weak spots were proportionally irrelevant given the rider’s weight. If you don’t plan on riding it, send it to the recycling bin, that thing is a liability suit waiting to happen if you gave/sold it to someone.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yes it's a thing. Essentially you'll remove material from a spring to reduce the strength/lighten then springs strength. That makes the spring suitable for a lighter weight rider. It's not common for any shop to do, more of a pro/custom thing.

That being said, it's up to you to decide if you feel comfortable riding it like that. You can very easily source a few spring to match your weight if you're sketched out.

Worse case scenario is the spring fails and you'll know pretty quick. Otherwise ride it and maybe increase service intervals to confirm or disconfirm additional fouling from any extra spring stanchion rub.

If it feels good, just get some heat shrink wrap in the proper diameter to keep the abrasion to a minimum

·
Huffy Rider
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way I'm riding this thing, looks sketchy and uneven. It seems like buying the right spring for the customer would have been a ton easier than all the labor and time it took to hack this up! But then I don't know much about MTB coil suspension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.